rogerthecat is offline New Member

Default Displaying desktop contents in start menu?

How would I get whatever is on my desktop to display on the left side of the start menu (not in 'all programs') so that when I click the start button I immediately see a list of the shortcuts that are on the desktop?

I think its possible given that you can pin folders/shortcuts to left side. There must be something in the registry that tells the left side of the start menu to read from wherever these pinned folders are stored, and ideally, that location could be changed to 'desktop' no?

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Open the folder which contains the .exe programs which you use frequently, rt click on them and select Pin to Start Menu. Is that what you are looking for ?

If you are suggesting that whatever is disaplayed on your desktop be automatically displayed in the LHS of your start menu, then no, this wont be possible.

The shortcuts are present in:
    C:\Users\Owner\Start Menu\Programs
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Off topic : Display Desired Folders In Windows Vista Start Menu may interest you.

hackerman1 is offline Gold Member

hackerman1 is offline Gold Member

hi !

go to you desktop folder, (under C:\users\...) right-click your desktop folder,
    Drag it to the Windows Orb (the startmenu-button), and drop it. (thanks whs...)

click the start-button and then you see your desktop folder "pinned"