Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remove old versions of Java from your PC

johnny.rotton is offline Gold Member

Default Remove old versions of Java from your PC

Free up hard disk space.

When you install an update to the Java software on your computer, the old versions are not removed. As each one can be over 100MB, this can start to take up a lot of space and potentially leave security vulnerabilities from the old versions.

Click on the Start button and then on Control Panel. Left-click on Add or Remove Programs. Wait for the list to load and then scroll down to the entries that start with J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update XX, where XX is a number. Leave the highest numbered entry alone but uninstall all the others.

Written by Tim Smith, Computeractive

seti is offline Member

Thanks for that information JR never knew that

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

JR, I understand that various webpages use various versions of the Java plug-ins. That is why I always leave the older versions. If you remove them, it could happen, that some webpages do not function any more. The disk space gains, even if it is 100MB, are not worth the trouble - I think.

johnny.rotton is offline Gold Member

If a web site fails it will give you the chance to download again. On my old test laptop I had 17 updates and saved 1GB of space and have not had any problems. I will however keep you updated if this chages.

Corrine is offline Gold Member

Older versions of SunJava (up to JRE 6 update 7) indeed did remain when updates were installed and need to be removed as the older versions of SunJava are highly vulnerable to Winfixer/Vundo.

It took from 2005 until the update late last year to JRE 6 update 10 for SunMicrosystems to Sun Microsystems to get the autoupdater of SunJava to uninstall previous (vulnerable) versions of the program. Updates from JRE 6 Update 10 forward are in a self-contained "jre6" folder that is overwritten if a new JRE is installed.

Even when using the most up-to-date version of SunJava, if older, vulnerable, version(s) are still on your computer, it is vulnerable to infection. Unfortunately, simply using Add/Remove programs to uninstall the old versions is not completely affective. I strongly advise removing old versions of SunJava and recommend JavaRa. The instructions follow:

Download JavaRa and unzip it to your desktop.

• Double-click on JavaRa.exe to start the program. (Windows Vista users right-click JavaRa.exe > Select Run as Administrator)
    • Click on Remove Older Versions to remove older versions of Java.
    • A logfile will pop up. Please save it to a convenient location.

Then download and install Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 13.

Note: UNCHECK any pre-checked toolbar and/or software options presented with the update. They are not part of the software update and are completely optional.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Nice tip.

Check JavaRa too. Ive used it once.

leofelix is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Corrine View Post
    Then download and install Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 13.

Note: UNCHECK any pre-checked toolbar and/or software options presented with the update. They are not part of the software update and are completely optional.
    sorry Corrine,
    last JRE is 6 update 14

Java SE 6 Update 14 Release Notes.

@-'-,--

JonPaulOnLine is offline Windows Enthusiast

Good,
    Corrine's Link will always go to the current version , even if someone reads this thread some time into the future

Corrine is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by leofelix View Post
    sorry Corrine,
    last JRE is 6 update 14

Java SE 6 Update 14 Release Notes.

@-'-,--
    Yes it is, thank you @}-'-,-- . I forgot to edit Athena, the firefox add-on I use for the most commonly used "canned" responses on the security forums. Fortunately, as JonPaulOnLine noted, the link is correct anyway, just not the version number.

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

does the newer updated version of Java plugins have no support to the older versions supportive files? As i have currently update 13 installed on my PC but didn't face any problem on any website.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast