Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By tweakwindows

Thread: How To Install & Carry Windows 7 On Your USB Flash Drive

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

Thumbs up How To Install & Carry Windows 7 On Your USB Flash Drive

Alright folks! Here is a small tutorial (I hope it's handy too!) after a long time. As most of us have been using Windows 7 as our primary OS (operating system), I thought it’s better to write a guide on the hot Windows 7.

Since most of you might have a 4GB+ USB flash drive, this guide shows you how to carry Windows 7 on an USB flash drive and run it from the USB almost like a portable application! Yes, you can do it easily. Follow the instructions given below to make it happen.

Requirements:

Bootable USB - Windows 7 USB/DVD
    6GB + pen drive (8GB recommended)

Procedure:

1. Insert your USB drive and backup all your data.
    2. Next, download portable Virtual Box (sorry, I couldn’t find portable Virtual PC 2007) and extract the zip file contents to your USB flash drive.
    3. Open your USB drive, go to portable VirtualBox folder and run portable VirtualBox file.
    4. Follow the on screen procedure to create a virtual drive.
    5. Once you have virtual drive, you can easily install Windows on VirtualBox.
    6. After installing Windows 7 on the portable VirtualBox, safely remove your flash drive.
    7. Plug-in your USB drive to any Windows system and start using Windows 7 just like a live Cd/dvd.

Note that I have not written each and every step as it's a long tutorial which includes creating virtual drive and installing Windows 7 on virtual drive. You can visit my site to get the detailed procedure.

You can also use this method to carry Windows 8, Windows Vista and XP on your USB.

Source: Into Windows
    Last edited by HappyAndyK; 11-11-2011 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Updated
    333 and whs like this.

knightrider™ is offline Gold Member

Let me give it a try tweakwindows btw i had created a bootable USB to install Win 7 by a s/w called "Bootable USB" ..

rkonit is offline Gold Member

hmm cool man... Windows 7 works like a portable OS.

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

^Yup.. It's just like a portable OS now

Selene is offline New Member

A second possibility is that the ZIP drive comes with installation software/firmware that takes up space. Such software is often useless, but unremovable nonetheless.

steve6375 is offline New Member

rmprepusb.tk - Tutorial #47 has instructions and a video - this uses method linked to by jaclaz and has a YouTube video too.
    It is a lot quicker if you use a USB Hard disk drive though!

Thirusan is offline New Member

I you really want to know how to install and run a windows 7 from a usb flash drive or portable, external hardrive check out my youtube channel:
    Thiruy97 and find the video called
    "How to install and a boot windows 7 from a usb flash drive"

bferreira is offline New Member

With due respect to the post and the owner of it, but this post is not complete and doesn't teach how to carry the windows in the USB, simply because it doesn't teach how to install the OS in it. I wonder why a person takes his time to copy and paste something without giving his own words on it. The post teaches/explains how to install the virtual box and very badly how to install a virtual drive.... the part in which it says " you can easily install windows on virtualbox " is missing, isn't it ?

that easy step ain't easy at all. the software is complex and has lots of settings, I myself ain't no dummy on computing/computers and have had difficulties to accomplish the task...

telling people what they can - when the post talks about how-to - is worthless..people have a lot of work to get stuck in somewhere.
    Last edited by bferreira; 03-03-2013 at 11:19 PM.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

I use an external SSD and VMware Player. I install the OS in VMware Player on my host system and then just move the VMware folder to the external SSD. I have also tried it with a fast USB3 stick and an external spinning disk. But those were too slow. SSD is the way to go.

I would give you a tutorial but the forum blanks out my tutorial links because they are parked on a 'competitive' forum.
    Last edited by whs; 03-05-2013 at 05:38 PM.