Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Corey is offline New Member

Smile

Well, after a little fiddling & testing, I was able to change the text (it now reads: Hello).

I also found out that it does indeed have a text-length limit, it seems to be 79. I tested this using the phrase:
    This is just a test to find out if there is a text-length restriction to this balloon.

When hovering over the Orb, it just reads:
    This is just a test to find out if there is a text-length restriction to this b

Corey is offline New Member

Glad I could contribute, thank you for posting this in the 1st place.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

NEW: Start Button ToolTip Text Changer will allow you to change the tooltip text of your Start Button or Orb in Windows 7. Feel free to replace the default text 'Start', with any text of your choice, in the text-box. You can replace it with your name or simply choose something witty.

Elmer B. is offline Windows Enthusiast

Nice one Lee on the Start button tooltip changer! I have to admit that things like that are a boon to many people as, as is said, hacking system files is sometimes a bit daunting to some folk. Me? Well, if I kill the PC I just re-install! All my stuff is totally separated.

Anyways, Thanks to Lee and AndyK for updating my original post. Thanks to setedivent for the mcbuilder tip. I know I meant to update the OP myself but must have got distracted, very easy at my age! I now use mcbuilder all the time, whether I need to or not! Also, nice to know there is a text limit length. I'd never have thought to look for that as my message has, err, zero characters.

Now, something I've never done, is modify any files found in Winsxs folders and yet I've never had issues with any mods I've made to any system files.
    Yes I run a 64bit so I always do a search for, and expect to modify two of each system file as they are slightly different (the only one I know of that is the same in both is imageres.dll).

As far as I'm aware the files in Winsxs are back ups that are used if, for example, sfc /scannow is used. Would this possibly be because I disable UAC as a matter of course? I could understand UAC replacing the "corrupted" system files from Winsxs folders.

Now. Off to see what else I can try to break!!
    Last edited by Elmer B.; 1st December 2011 at 21:52.

ratridash is offline Beginner

I think remove is not important for start button. We sometimes become boring with the default look of it so that we have to change it. By the way, nice tip.

thinkbui is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post

Hello, 1st time here & having a little trouble w/this tip. I have 7 Pro 64Bit.

Do I need to edit explorer.exe.mui located in ALL 4 folders:
    1. C:\Windows\en-US
    2. C:\Windows\SysWOW64\en-US
    3. C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-explorer.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385 _en-us_61e778c48d52d19b
    4. C:\Windows\winsxs\wow64_microsoft-windows-explorer.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385 _en-us_6c3c2316c1b39396

Then save each one, run 'mcbuilder' & restart comfuser?
    Is there a character length we need to adhere to if modifying text instead of removing it?
    As I mentioned in the text changer tool thread, I ran this tool on my machines, but it only changed #2 and #4 for me. I modified #1 manually via ResHack as admin. However for #3 I couldn't do the same being blocked by a permissions issue whenever I tried to overwrite it. The file properties said that I was the owner of the file, but couldn't even delete it directly. In the end, I managed to move the file to the desktop and deleted it from there. After that the tooltip text changed appropriately.

I ran into this issue on 7Ult x64 SP1 and 7Pro x64 SP1. Did anyone else come across this and is there a better workaround?

vipsetup is offline New Member

What an interesting place and Fantastic question i appreciate on this and looking for

Page 2 of 2 First 12