Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hackerman1

Thread: Extra Precautions - Being Paranoid About Flash Cookies

Arun Kumar is offline MVP Alumni

Default Extra Precautions - Being Paranoid About Flash Cookies

Normally, I use VPN while working on one of my blog that is considered "violent" by some revenue sharing sites. It is not really violent but is about uplifting a minority section. Dunno why Dailymotion said it is violent.

Anyway, a recent study on Browser Independent Cookies aka Flash and Silverlight cookies made me rethink about the way I am handling my privacy. In case you don't know about BI cookies, here is the link: Browser Independent Cookies - Should You Be Concerned? And Why!

Logically thinking, a VPN will change my IP address and then give me an encrypted connection to whatever server I visit. But then, if these Flash cookies are present in my computer, they'll give away info to the websites if they read those cookies. I don't know how dangerous it can be... Or let me put it this way: I am not getting any privacy with VPNs as long as these Flash cookies are there on my computer. Or am I? I dont know for sure but I know if websites read Flash cookies, they can add my VPN IP to their database as well.

To counter this, I created a batch file that I want to be reviewed by all of you before I start using it. I intend to keep it as a startup item so that it runs and removes all Flash cookies while the VPN loads.

Here is the text that I saved as batch file. Please suggest if this is necessary if I am using VPN and if I need to make any changes.

---BEGIN BATCH FILE---

@Echo off
    CLS

ECHO Press n (lower case) to exit batch file...

SET /P var=Locate and Delete Flash Cookies? (y/n):

IF "%var%"=="n" Goto NO

IF "%var%"=="y" Goto YES

:YES
    ECHO: Please wait while we locate and delete Flash cookies on your computer...
    C:
    CD \
    Del *.sol /s
    exit

:NO
    ECHO You chose to Exit the program. Press Any key to Close The Window
    Pause
    exit
    --- End Batch File -----

Right now, I added prompt so that I can terminate the program if I don't need to go anonymous for that session. I might remove it and run the batch file without having to perform any action on my part.

What are your suggestions and additions/edits on the above?

Regards

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

Change the delete command, running (del /s) on the entire disk takes time to execute.
    Instead add the specific path to the cookies.

You need to find the path to the cookies.

FIND FLASH-COOKIES.BAT:
    ---------------------------------------
    C:
    CD C:\USERS\
    DIR / A /S *.SOL > FLASHPATH.TXT
    ---------------------------------------

That should give you a path like: C:\Users\HACKERMAN\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flas h Player\macromedia.com\support\flashplayer\sys\

Open FLASHPATH.TXT and copy the path to your cookie-delete program.

Change the delete-command to:
    DEL /S "C:\Users\HACKERMAN\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Fla sh Player\macromedia.com\support\flashplayer\sys\*.so l"

NOTE:
    NAVIGATING TO THE ROOT WITH CD /, AND THEN USING DEL /S CAN BE VERY DANGEROUS !!!

IF YOU MAKE A SIMPLE MISTAKE AND ENTER *.* INSTEAD OF A SPECIFIC FILETYPE LIKE *.SOL,
    YOU WILL GET A LOT OF FREE SPACE ON YOUR HARDDISK.... !!!

IF YOU NEED TO USE DEL /S OR ANY OTHER DELETE-COMMAND WITH /S,
    THEN ALWAYS ADD A SPECIFIC PATH TO THE COMMAND !!!
    Last edited by hackerman1; 2nd October 2013 at 16:49.
    Fatbroad49 likes this.