Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Digerati
  • 1 Post By Digerati

Thread: Spybot S&D Is Great!

Fatbroad49 is offline Beginner

Exclamation Spybot S&D Is Great!

I use Portable Apps on a USB stick and installed their portable Spybot Search And Destroy. It found tons of spyware and other garbage! I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials but even a full scan showed nothing. I couldn't believe it, and I only used the free Spybot S&D, too. I heartily recommend it!

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Spybot was one program most used in earlier times although its popularity did decrease over time for some reason. Some consider Spybot 2 to be bloated, but there is no denying that it is still good a good program to have around.

Digerati is offline Windows Enthusiast

It should be noted that Spybot tags many things that are not really malicious or spyware. I am not calling them "false positives" because it does not label them as serious "threats". But just because one program finds more things, that does not mean it is "better" than the other program.

That said, MSE while good (and what I use on my W7 systems), it is just a "basic" anti-malware solution and should be used in conjunction with another scanner. I use and recommend MBAM Free for that (MBAM Pro on my main system - recommended).

Frankly, I am not a fan of SB and stopped using it years ago for several reasons. As noted, it is bloated with all sorts of things most users don't need. TeaTimer was constantly causing issues, and Immunization kept blocking legitimate sites.

Just to see if it has changed, I just installed it on this system. Except for a prettier UI, not much has changed. What I dislike most is the installation routine does not pay attention to user inputs for installed options. For example, you can select during install to NOT install/enable any of the "real-time" features (in memory scanning, Internet protection, system tray icon, and several "start with Windows features like auto-update) but when you fire up the program for the first time, several of those features are enabled anyway.

I have removed it again and was disappointed it needed a reboot to complete the uninstall but did not to install. That tells me it set deep hooks - something not needed if no real-time component is enabled.

Also, the uninstall routine failed to totally uninstall the program. It left the program folder full of files on my drive. I will stick with MSE and MBAM. They have served me well, without incident, since I moved all my systems to that combination over 4 years ago when W7 was released.

It really is too bad because as noted, years ago, SB (along with AdAware) was the one-two punch against spyware.

Oh well. Progress.
    Last edited by Digerati; 2nd February 2014 at 14:20. Reason: fixed typo
    HappyAndyK and Fatbroad49 like this.

oklajohn is offline Beginner

Thanks, Digerati, for your comments and personal review of Spybot. I also used it several years back and became disillusioned with it, uninstalling it. Appreciate your post - I think I'll just stick to MBAM and HitmanPro which I presently have installed and skip Spybot this time around.
    Last edited by oklajohn; 3rd February 2014 at 17:27.

Digerati is offline Windows Enthusiast

Well, I probably should add that it has been several years since I gave SB a proper try again - but from what I have read from trusted colleagues, I have no real desire to give it a proper go - especially after the installation issues I note above.

BTW, I note both oklajohn and Fatbroad both use Hitman Pro. I recommend you both reconsider immediately. Understand Hitman Pro does NOT have a real-time component for full time protection as noted here. Hitman Pro is designed to work as an "on-demand" scanner, along side a real-time scanner in similar fashion to MBAM Free.

As noted at the Hitman Pro website, Hitman Pro is a "Second Opinion" Scanner.

I recommend you both install immediately a real-time antimalware scanner. For W7, I use MSE. For W8 I use the new Windows Defender (an updated MSE).
    Fatbroad49 likes this.

Fatbroad49 is offline Beginner

I uninstalled SB and use MBAM instead. You're right about the deep hooks. Took some deep looking to get rid of them, but Malware Bytes caught stuff even Windows Defender and SB missed. As for Hitman Pro, I'll probably uninstall that as well because I was under the impression it did offer real-time protection. Thanks!

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Yes MBAM is good - and fast. I have currently installed it and use it as a second opinion scanner on my PC.

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

Another very good FREE antimalware-program that you can use as second program: Emsisoft AntiMalware (EAM):
    Emsisoft Anti-Malware - Best antivirus and firewall to protect from viruses, bots, spyware, keyloggers, trojans, scareware and rootkits

EAM works well together with MBAM, even when running both programs with realtime-protection activated !
    So you can install both of them if you want, as "second and third opinion"...