Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Digerati

Thread: Enable, disable changing format of a Virtual Smart Card PIN in Windows 8

HappyAndyK is online now Site Administrator

Default Enable, disable changing format of a Virtual Smart Card PIN in Windows 8

You can enable or disable the function that lets users change the format of a Virtual Smart Card (VSC) personal identification number (PIN) by using the CTRL+ALT+DEL sequence.

To do this, you have to download and apply hotfix from KB2808693.

After you apply this hotfix, you can enable and disable this function.

Works on Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, and Windows Server 2012

Digerati is offline Windows Enthusiast

That is a weird KB. I wonder if something was lost in translation.

It says,
    This article describes a hotfix that disables the function that lets users change the format of a Virtual Smart Card (VSC) personal identification number (PIN) by using the CTRL+ALT+DEL sequence. After you apply this hotfix, you can enable and disable this function.
    So, if I can read AND comprehend this morning, the first sentence says "a" hotfix disables the "user-function" to change PIN formats via Ctrl-Alt + Del. It does not say "this" hotfix, but "a" hotfix - suggesting to me, some previously released hotfix broke the function - but there is no mention of what KB hotfix that was.

And after installing "this" new hotfix, "you" (I am assuming, you being admin) now have a new "admin-function" to control (give or take away) each user's ability (permissions) to use that "user-function" again.

Note it says "this article describes a hotfix that disables the function...". Well, no! This article describes (kinda) this new hotfix for the new "admin-function" to control the "user-function" (that was broken by the previous hotfix). I think.

And on top of that, users still have to go in and manually edit the Registry in at least 2 places.

It also says under More Information,
    A supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article.
    So again, '"a" supported hotfix is available' but '"this" hotfix is only for the problem noted in "this" article. What was that "problem" again?

I note under Hotfix replacement information it says, "This hotfix does not replace a previously released hotfix." No kidding! Maybe they need to rethink this one and redo the hotfix and article.
    HappyAndyK and shivlukka like this.

DeborahJ is offline Windows Enthusiast

^ Wow, you sure seem to have read the article in detail!