Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By HappyAndyK
  • 1 Post By Digerati

Thread: Changed Password Correctly But Now Problems

Fatbroad49 is offline Beginner

Angry Changed Password Correctly But Now Problems

I kept getting messages "Please sign in with your latest password" while I'm on my desktop doing things. This got quite annoying so I decided maybe it was hinting I should change my password, so I did. It still keeps after me for my password but now I get a message "SkyDrive has stopped working and must close" (although I have no trouble signing in online) and my Nook tablet that shares my Outlook account tells me it my password is incorrect. What should I do?

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Which software is asking you to change the password?

I'm assuming it was Windows Defender, as the flag icon popped up when it gave the message. But now my laptop is acting sluggish, and my browser keeps freezing---I'm using the latest Firefox portable. Even IE isn't all that fast anymore. Also I keep losing the cursor when I type, which causes the browser to freeze. I did a quick scan with Security Essentials and it showed nothing, then I did a full scan and it froze. MalwareBytes didn't work so I uninstalled it. Do I have a virus, trojan or what? I haven't been to any sites I've never visited before. Was I somehow tricked by malware pretending to be Outlook? If so, there was no way to tell as there was nothing that seemed out of place. Everything was normal. I'm beginning to think it's this laptop that's the problem. Problem is I've only had this machine since August.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Windows Defender does not ask for passwords. You will have to find out which program is asking for the password, only then would we able to proceed.

Right-click on its taskbar icon when the prompt appears, and see its properties. Else see if therer is any other information given in the prompt. Perhaps you could post its image here.
    Fatbroad49 likes this.

Digerati is offline Windows Enthusiast

It sounds like your computer was set to connect to your SkyDrive upon boot and that is the password it was looking for.

But we need more information. What version of Windows? Note Windows Defender with Windows 8 and an enhanced version of Microsoft Security Essentials. So you would not be running both MSE or WD on W8.

WD on W7 and before is the old WD, and is a spyware scanner only - not a full anti-malware suite.
    Fatbroad49 likes this.

The flag icon that pops up has a red "x" on it. I have Windows 8.1. If I have both MSE and WD maybe I should disable one if they conflict? As for booting, now that I changed my Outlook Account password and Pin number it's slower than ever and hangs for almost a minute after I enter the Pin. Microsoft insists that users sign in with their Outlook Account, for some lame reason. My SkyDrive often turns off so maybe I should stop using it. If I stop SkyDrive, however, should I also turn off all the sync settings? After all, you can't really sync anything with it anymore so why have it? I'm ready to throw this laptop out the window for the umpteenth time! Sorry for all these questions. I appreciate your help, believe me.
    Last edited by Fatbroad49; 24th February 2014 at 13:20.