Pippali is offline New Member

Default Disabling Pick Up Where You Left Off feature in Windows 7

Hi everyone,

I am trying to disable the "Pick Up Where You Left Off" feature in Windows 7 (Word 2013). I have found instructions for disabling it in Windows 8 from an earlier Windows Club discussion. I tried to paste the link to that discussion here, but it says I can't paste a url. The title of the discussion is "Disable Pick Up Where You Left Off feature in Office 2013."

In any case, I have Windows 7, and things are looking a little different than the screen shots from that discussion.

When I right-click on "Reading Locations" and click "Permissions" and then "Advanced", I don't see just one box to check or uncheck as they show in the screen shot for Windows 8.

What I see is two boxes to check or uncheck in the Permissions window. Next to one box it says: "Include inheritable permissions from this object's parent," and that one is checked. And next to the second box it says: "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object," and that one is unchecked.

The Windows 8 instructions say I need to uncheck a box in two windows. I see two more boxes like this in the Auditing window. In the first box it is the same as in the Permissions window ("Include inheritable permissions from this object's parent"), and like the other window this box is checked. And then the second box says, "Replace all existing inheritable auditing entries on all descendants with inheritable auditing entries from this object," and this box is unchecked.

Should I simply uncheck the first box in both windows even though they say something different than the boxes in Windows 8? Will that do any harm? Is there anything else I need to do to disable the "Pick Up Where You Left Off" feature in Word 2013?

Thank you very much,

p
    Last edited by HappyAndyK; 20th May 2014 at 03:20. Reason: Linked

Kapil Arya is offline Microsoft MVP

Hello,

Don't get confused! All you need to do is to make the Reading Locations key read-only. So just make sure that it doesn't have full control at all. That's it!

Hope this helps, Good luck

Kapil Arya is offline Microsoft MVP

Use RegOwnershipEx to take the ownership of Reading Locations key.

RegOwnershipEx: Take ownership of registry keys easily

Then try again, you'd be able to check the Read option and at the same instance, uncheck other options (Full Control and Special Permissions).

Good luck again