zeromemz is offline Beginner

Default How to sign into Windows 8 or 8.1 without a Microsoft account - make a local us

I was setting up Windows 8.1 on a machine and didn't want to use a Microsoft ID (Live ID) to sign into it. I didn't feel like linking this temporary machine to my existing Microsoft ID and just wanted a regular local login. Now, I realize that not using a Live ID would limit the things I could do and cause a lot more account popups when I visited apps like Music, Store, Video, and others, but still, I want the choice.

It wasn't immediately obvious to me how to create a local login, so I wrote it up here to help you, Oh Internet Person.

STEP 1

When you get to settings, it doesn't matter if you click Use Express Settings or Customize. Pick what makes you happy.

STEP 2

Setup will ask you to Sign into your Microsoft account. You can, but you don't have to. You can also click "Create a new account" at the bottom. You can click there to create a new online Microsoft account, sure, but this is also how you create a local account.

STEP 3

At this point, it looks like you'll need to Create a Microsoft account, but you can also click "Sign in without a Microsoft account."

You should really know what you're doing here. Don't just do this because you don't like the idea of a Microsoft account. Be aware of the ramifications. That said, you can always add an account later. I found using a local local to be better for me when making a Virtual Machine.

Step 4

Here's where you actually make your local account. Put in a user name and password like you always do. This is a local account that has no ties to the online world.

Hope this helps someone.
    Last edited by zeromemz; 29th June 2014 at 16:47.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Default How to set up Local Account on Windows 8.1 during installation

Thanks for posting this tutorial on how to set up a Local Account on Windows 8.1 during installation.

There are many still who prefer to use a Local Account.

jaylach is offline Windows Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    Thanks for posting this tutorial on how to set up a Local Account on Windows 8.1 during installation.

There are many still who prefer to use a Local Account.
    Yes there are, myself included on my Win 7&8 dual boot laptop.

Digerati is offline Windows Enthusiast

Nice tutorial! That said, I will note users can change how they log in once Windows 8 is already setup, if they want by changing the user account settings via PC Settings. Since I recommend everyone use a password to protect their Windows user accounts, and since entering an email account is hardly a secure password, not to mention it is a PITA, the use of a "Local Account", IMO, is much better.