Robko is offline Beginner

Default How to stop not automatic Adobe Reader downloads

Does anyone know how to put a stop not only to automatic Adobe Reader downloads but also to the annoying pop-up question/s asking if I want to download the updates.

I am using Win 7 & home premium.

Thanks in advance.

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

Yes.
    Uninstall Adobe Reader...
    I recommend not to use Adobe Reader because of all security-problems.
    You can use PDF-Xchange instead: Tracker Software Products :: Downloads

NOTE: PDF-Xchange doesn´t support DRM, so if you loan e-books from a library you need Adobe Reader.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Its best to keep Adobe software up to date at all times since vulnerabilities are discovered in them from time to time, and the company releases security patches for them.

Nevertheless, should you wish to you can do it as follows:
    Open Preferences > Categories > Updater and set a Check For Updates option. Select Do not download or install.

If you are planning to change, this post may interest you:
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/list-o...-for-windows-7.

jaylach is offline Windows Enthusiast

Another good choice for a PDF reader is FoxIt Reader at http://www.foxitsoftware.com/downloads/ .
    Last edited by jaylach; 17th November 2014 at 03:28.

Read my post: Foxit 3.3 comes with security problems !

Also read Andy´s post: Foxit Reader v 4 installs default settings even after unchecking options!

From my post in Andy´s thread above:
    "do you remember the thread about Foxit 3.3 ?
    Foxit 3.3 comes with security problems !

in that thread it was mentioned that they said they were: "a Microsoft Certified Partner".
    after doing some investigation, and with some help from Corrine, i found out that it was a false claim.

they were NOT a "Microsoft Certified Partner" !

WOW !

but, it gets even better....

i just checked their page: Foxit Software

"About Foxit Corporation

Foxit Corporation, a Microsoft Certified Partner, is at the forefront of cost-effective electronic document solutions. "

they still claim they are "Certified" !

OMG !

can you believe that ?!

Foxitsoftware is obviously a very respectable company...
    "

This was 4 years ago and personally I really don´t know if they still add all that crap.

But according to this post they still do: Installers Hall of Shame (Unwanted add-on) - Page 27 - Updates Forum - Calendar Of Updates

That post references: Foxit Reader upgrade warning | Wilders Security Forums

Foxit Reader is a really bad choice !
    Last edited by hackerman1; 17th November 2014 at 13:52.

You MAY be correct but I don't seem to find much evidence. I'm sorry but cannot hold a whole lot of stock in reports 4-5 years old talking about version 3 and 4 when the current version is 7. Of course there are vulnerabilities as there is with any software. Microsoft puts out updates to address such issues... should I quit using Windows because it has vulnerabilities? If there was no such thing as vulnerabilities in just about any software we would not need anti virus packages.

Yes, I will agree that Foxit will want to install the ASK toolbar but is that actually Foxit or the download source. As a test I just installed Foxit on the Windows 10 side of my multi-boot as I had not yet done so. Since this was partially a test I let the install go as it wanted without my interference. Ask is NOT installed nor has it become my search engine. There is no added toolbar in IE nor is there one waiting to be enabled. I cannot say as to Firefox as I have not yet installed. I did my download directly from the Foxit home site, not a download warehouse such as download.com or CNet. This is one reason that I always recommend to download from the author's site if possible.

I can't say for fact whether Foxit is a Microsoft Partner but if not why would they receive Partner Awards in 3 of the 4 categories that they were nominated in 2012. This is not from the Foxit site but an independent article.
    FOXit Takes Top Honours At Microsoft Partner Awards | TechMoran
    and
    http://it-online.co.za/2012/11/06/fo...artner-awards/

Please don't take this post as wanting to start an argument as it surely is not intended in that manner. I am just trying to replace old info with more recent. If you find this post erroneous please correct me but do so with current information.
    Last edited by jaylach; 17th November 2014 at 23:29.

Quote Originally Posted by hackerman1 View Post
    This was 4 years ago and personally I really don´t know if they still add all that crap.

But according to this post they still do: Installers Hall of Shame (Unwanted add-on) - Page 27 - Updates Forum - Calendar Of Updates

That post references: Foxit Reader upgrade warning | Wilders Security Forums

Foxit Reader is a really bad choice !
    Well, if you actually read those last posts above you will see that they are from 2014...

If you take a good look at my post about false claims about being a
    "Microsoft Certified Partner" you will see that I posted this on 06-30-2010, 09:30 PM.

I don´t know what has happened since then....

Who said anything about "vulnerabilities" ?
    Have you actually read my posts ???
    They added crap, ASK-toolbar etc.
    Do you really call that "vulnerabilities" ???

And yes, as I already pointed out myself the first posts I mentioned are old.
    But altogether it shows a history of suspicious behaviour....

And they still add crap 2014...
    That is "current information".....

Foxit Reader is a really bad choice, be very careful if you install it !

Sincethere many other free PDF-readers available why take the risk installing Foxit Reader ?
    Last edited by hackerman1; 18th November 2014 at 00:59.

The discussion (read as a mild rant ) on vulnerabilities was due to one of the links in this thread led either directly or indirectly to an article about a vulnerability in Foxit that was worse than the Zero Day was in Adobe Reader.

Yes I read your posts but will admit to not reading every word of every post.

I most definitely agree that bundled software is inconvenient but I really don't mind it. Hey, nothing in life is truly free... OK, some things are but they are few and far between. Heck, I have totally free sites up with zero advertising to anything third party but they DO all have links to my site through which I sell photos. What I DO mind is sites and software that try to trick you. On sites I'm talking about hidden links. In software I'm talking about PUPs that are wrongly done as most are. I have nothing against free software having third party offers during the install but do not like that they are usually pre-selected. Someone puts up something for free that is useful and allows third party advertisement; this is not an issue to me. Why should not the author of a useful program get a little income for what they wrote through a third party source when it can be selected to be totally free.

Look, I don't think that we are really far different in our thoughts but rather just look from a bit of a different perspective. If I'm not mistaken you would like to see any third party offers totally removed from any free download. I feel that third party offers are fine but should be declined by default to where the user has to select to install instead of having to select to not install. I would also like to see it done to where you did not usually have to select custom or advanced install. From reading your posts I find it obvious that you have a lot of computer knowledge and I have been awarded Microsoft MVP status three times; we are NOT the every day user, we are, at least, 'power users'. My only issue with the third party offers is the average every day user that won't select the advanced or custom install option because they don't want to be bothered or feel that they would not know what to do. If they made it opt in instead of opt out I would be 100% fine with the entire thing.

I best post this right now or face a lot of re-typing... I think Windows 10 is about to die on me. LOL! We could probably get into another discussion on Auslogic... Their defrag is my one of choice. I've never experienced it to leave a partition 42% fragmented unless the defrag was interrupted. The Auslogic reference is just to show that I have read posts.
    Last edited by jaylach; 19th November 2014 at 06:06.