nichos is offline Windows Enthusiast

Default Paragon Backup & Restore questiion

HI,

I used last year my new TOSHIBA vb63700-A 500GB external HD to Backup the 6 partitions PC using "Paragon Backup and Recovery 2014 Free ".

Today tried to familiarise myself with it again, opened Paragon, clicked on Restore & Add an existing archive, went to Toshiba HD and found the two files at the bottom of this scan:-

I added the 202KB PDF file, see scan below but, at the bottom the warning error says "Wizard could not open the archive file".

This made me wonder if I was to restore in anger to a new HD would it work or I would have lost my system for good? Could not find an answer in Paragon's help

If anybody knows Paragon I'll be grateful for advise. .....thanx .....nick
    Last edited by nichos; 10th December 2014 at 23:18.

jaylach is offline Windows Enthusiast

I've never used Paragon as I go mainly with the built in imaging routines included in Windows since Vista. Other than that about all I've used is Acronis.

Still I will make a stab at some possibilities.... First could you please tell us the version of Windows in use?

1) It is possible that the system and/or user do not have high enough privileges to allow the backup to be fully created.

2) Could possibly be a compatibility issue between the version of Paragon being used and the version of Windows.

3) It could be a fault with the external drive. It would seem that Toshiba uses drives from different manufactures and brand them as their own. The following link MAY at least get you started in the direction of some drive diagnostics. While I doubt that it is an actual drive issue it would not hurt to rule it out.
    Search

nichos is offline Windows Enthusiast

Thanx,

I use win8.

1. I am the Administartor of my home PC.

2. No warnings of compatibility occurred with this
    "Paragon Backup and Recovery 2014 Free " win8.

3. It seems to work as I saved a few things in it & updated some with no problems, except that this Toshiba only connects & show up in win explorer on only one USB port out of several I have in my PC.

I will check the "search" link you mentioned.

EDIT unfortunately this link has no forums for ext.HDs.

Home build, Asus P5K Premium WiFiiFi Intel,
    Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 95W 2.4GHz, OCZ Vendetta Cpu Cooler,
    2x2GB, 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 800 (400mhz) PC2-6400,
    EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX KO 512MB GDDR3 (PCI-E),
    Seagate Barraguda sata 500gb, Corsair TX750M Psu, X45, XPhome/Win8
    Last edited by nichos; 11th December 2014 at 10:53.

jaylach is offline Windows Enthusiast

The search link was not intended to lead you to a forum it was intended to get you started on finding diagnostics for the drive. Also to supply the link for Toshiba support in the upper right of the page.

Since it is a 2014 release of Paragon I would doubt that there would be a compatibility issue with Win 8. However, since you stated Win 8 is it actually still Win 8 or have you done the upgrade to Win 8.1? If still actually on Win 8 I strongly suggest that you upgrade to 8.1.
    Windows 8 and 8.1 For Home, Students, and Professionals - Microsoft Store
    The link goes to the purchase page as I don't know what version of Win 8 is installed. Once you go to the version you have you should get to a link that will allow you to get it free as a current Win 8 user. If you are already using 8.1 ignore all this.

Not trying to pull you away from Paragon here but we should probably try something. Windows 8-8.1, actually since Vista, has a decent system image routine. We should probably try doing an image to the external through Windows to see if it succeeds. If it does it would tend to lead one to suspect that the issue is with Paragon. If not already upgraded to 8.1 do that first. Now do the following to get to the built in Windows image backup.

Before we begin check the properties of the external drive and jot down the amount of free space.

1) Hover in the upper right corner of the screen. (I'm assuming being in the Classic Desktop, not Tiles.).

2) Select 'Search' and enter 'file history' without the quotes.

3) Select 'File History', just that, not settings.

4) In the lower left of the resulting screen you will see the option for 'System image backup', select that.

5) The backup will search for possible backup media. Select your external and go for it.

Check the properties of the external again for free space. The free space should be roughly the size of your system less than before the image backup. If this is the case my guess would be that the issue is with Paragon. I would contact their support or just keep using Windows image backup. Or you could just keep using Windows imaging. I'm still not trying to tell you what software to use but I've been using the built in imaging since Vista and have never experienced a failure, I have tested it extensively.
    Last edited by jaylach; 12th December 2014 at 06:16.