17th March 2015, 04:16 #1
Why does Windows 8 Automatic Maintenance take so long?
Automatic Maintenance in Windows 8 is expected to complete in a short while, say 10-20 minutes. But at times, many users find that it runs for hours together with no signs of stopping.
If you face this issue, here are a few things you could try:
- Stop Automatic Maintenance manually.
- Run sfc /scannow to start the system file checker. Restart your computer at the end, when you are asked to
- Use CCleaner to clear your PC junk, including your Page file, Prefetch files, etc.
- Disable your start up items temporarily, including your antivirus software.
- Start Automatic Maintenance manually and see if it helps.
Once done, you may re-enable your start-up items and your antivirus software.
If this doesn't help, maybe its some hardware, possibly RAM, issue.