Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Create a RAMdisk and speed up your Windows computer

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

Default Create a RAMdisk and speed up your computer

Microsoft doesn´t offer any RAMdisk programs anymore.

But there are several other programs available, one that will give a very fast ramdisk is the one from Softperfect, and it´s FREE which of course also is a bonus....

I have used it for about a year now and it´s working perfectly, I highly recommend it.

I previously used another program, and I noticed an improved response after I switced to Softperpect´s ramdisk, my computer feels faster.

Softperfect RAM Disk: https://www.softperfect.com/products/ramdisk/

Softperfect Ramdisk Manual: https://www.softperfect.com/products/ramdisk/manual/

Ramdisk performance test: http://www.overclock.net/t/1381131/r...up-and-testing

Softperfects´s ramdisk was one of the fastest in that test, and it´s FREE...

To speed up the computer put the tempfiles & browsercache on the ramdisk, it makes a BIG difference.

When using the ramdisk primarily for the browsercache select FAT32 as the filesystem, because it gives better performance with a lot of small files.

To avoid problems when installing new software only change the location of the tempfiles for the USER-account, not the ADMIN-account.

Remember, always use a USER-account for "normal" work like surfing the web, only use the ADMIN-account when installing software or doing system maintenance.

Because if the ramdisk isn´t big enough you might get problems, and installing some programs requires a restart,
    and they might also need access to the tempfiles after a restart.

Remember, if you don´t save the ramdisk when shutting down / restarting, the tempfiles are gone after the restart.

Keeping the tempfiles for the ADMIN-account at the default location (C:\users...) avoids that problem,
    because even if you are using a USER-account when you install new programs, it´s the ADMIN-account that is used during the installation.
    Remember the UAC-prompt asking for the ADMIN-password...?

IMPORTANT: Make sure you have a working ramdisk before you change the location of the temp-files !

If not then you will have problems...

According to what i have read exFAT is the best (fastest) fileformat for a disk with a lot of small files like tempfiles and the browsercache.
    You can use exFAT as fileformat with a Softperfect ramdisk.
    But you will have to use a little trick...

How to use exFAT as fileformat with a Softperfect ramdisk

1. Image → Create Image
    2. You can not enter a filename directly in "Image File Name", you have to click on the yellow folder-icon,
    then navigate to the folder where you want to save the image, enter a filename and click Save.
    3. Select size
    4. Select RAW as filesystem (default)
    5. Click OK
    6. Image → Mount Image
    7. Select the imagefile you created and click Open
    8. Select drive-letter and click OK
    9. Open File Explorer, put the mouse-pointer on the drive, wait until it´s "greyed", right-click and select Format
    10. Select exFAT
    11. Image → Unmount Image, select the drive
    12. Click OK
    13. Disk → Add Boot Disk
    14. Select the imagefile
    15. Select drive-letter
    14. Click OK

Next time you boot you will have a ramdisk formatted with exFAT.

Note: there is no reboot required, you can start using it immediately, it´s activated when you select to use it as "Boot Disk".

Move tempfiles

Control panel → System → Advanced system settings.

Move the browsercache

Firefox / Pale Moon: open a new tab, enter “about:config”, enter “browser.homepage.directory”

Opera: open a new tab, enter “opera:config#UserPrefs|CacheDirectory4”

change the drive-letter to the ramdisk

fx. “R:\Firefox”

IE: Tools → Internet options → Browsing history → Settings → Move folder, select the ramdisk

Google Chrome: right-click on the shortcut to Chrome → properties, in the target-window add “--disk-cache dir=”

If you also want to specify the size: add” --disk-cache-size=XX”

XX=size in MB

Example: "E:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE CHROME\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --disk-cache-dir="R:\chrome" --disk-cache-size=100

Note: I haven´t used Google Chrome for years so I don´t know if the instructions for it above are still correct.
    Last edited by hackerman1; 20th November 2015 at 16:24.
    mcamacho likes this.

HappyAndyK is online now Site Administrator

Good tutorial. Not many are aware of this.

RolandJS is offline Windows Enthusiast

got it all, downloaded EXE and manual [as complete web site], thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    got it all, downloaded EXE and manual [as complete web site], thanks!
    You are welcome.

NOTE: Make sure you have a working ramdisk before you change the location of the temp-files !

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

If you have acres of RAM (e.g. 16GB and more), a RAMdisk can serve well. I have run virtual VMware Player partitions from it. That is really fast. But with 4GB or 6GB of RAM it makes little sense.

Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    If you have acres of RAM (e.g. 16GB and more), a RAMdisk can serve well. I have run virtual VMware Player partitions from it. That is really fast. But with 4GB or 6GB of RAM it makes little sense.
    Little sense ?
    You should know better...

whs

Can you explain what sense a RAMdisk makes when you have 4GB of RAM.

Read my first post above....

whs

To move some temp files and cache files does not do anything for me.

Arun Kumar is offline MVP Alumni

Ramdisk was first introduced in systems that could not handle even 1GB of RAM. If I remember correctly, we used RAMDISK (MS DOS External command) to save files temporarily and then copy then to real HDD even before Windows 3.1 was introduced. That made a great difference then and it does make a significant difference now. Only that the official MS DOS command is no more to create a RAMDISK using CLI. These GUI programs creating RAMDISK also take up space in RAM but still, it processes much fast if you are working on - say peer to peer collaboration.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last