Clayto is offline Windows Enthusiast

Default Making VLC the default media player in Windows 8.1

How do I make VLC my default media player in Windows 8.1? In the Default Programs menu VLC is not listed so I cannot select it. I get WMP popping up, it as often as not cannot play the file I want.

clayto

Kapil Arya is offline Microsoft MVP

Hello,

Open PC settings -> Search and apps -> Defaults. Try to change the default programs for Video Player from here. Even if this doesn't helps, go to the files which WMP can't open, right click them and select Choose default program. You should get a pop-up and if VLC doesn't exists in that pop-up, browse it in program files.

Hope this helps, Good luck

Clayto is offline Windows Enthusiast

I have been having a related problem recently, having bought a Chromcast which works well but a Store app I hoped to use with it will not play any videos I have tried. It is called AV Remote. I think I have traced the issue to the following error: 'Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service failed to start Error 1068' and 'Media streaming is not turned on'. I have changed the Service from manual to automatic but that has not helped. The Troubleshooter reports that 'configuration settings might be set incorrectly' but does not give any more info or correct the issue.

Can anyone help with this?

Clayto

Kapil Arya is offline Microsoft MVP

Okay, for the error code 1068, I suggest you to check the corresponding service properties. In the Properties window, switch to Log on tab and put following against This account field:

NT AUTHORITY\LocalService
    Good luck again