Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By StrayCat

Thread: Prevent installation of or Skip the Windows 10 Anniversary Update Build

StrayCat is offline Senior Member

Default Prevent installation of or Skip the Windows 10 Anniversary Update Build

Somehow the Windows 10 Anniversary Update build didn't work out for me on an older machine.
    (my GPU was no longer detected)
    So I was more than happy to use the windows roll back feature to a previous build.

Still, soon after rolling back, windows started the update once again and I would be ending in an unfortunate endless loop.

(Side note :HappyAndyK wrote somewhere else that the rollback feature to a previous build only works for about 10-30 days,so you might have to reinstall the 1511 build)

To stop Windows 10 from trying to update my 1511 edition to the Anniversary build, I finally found a small but effective reg tweak.

Although originally meant for skipping preview builds, it seems to work for the regular builds too.

(So far so good)

Check it out over here:
    htttp://winaero.com/blog/how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-installing-a-new-build-automatically/

A special thanks goes to Sergey Tkachenko.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergey Tkachenko
    htttp://winaero.com

Open Registry Editor.
    Go to the following Registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfH ost\Applicability\RecoveredFrom

If you do not have the RecoveredFrom subkey, then just create it.
    Create a new DWORD value here, named after the build number which is available through Windows Update. For instance, if you are running Windows 10 build 9926 and would like to avoid builds 10041 and 10049, then you need to create two DWORD values named 10041 and 10049 respectively. Set these values to 1.
    Hope that this someday might still help someone.
    Take care.
    Last edited by StrayCat; 14th October 2016 at 12:13.
    HappyAndyK likes this.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

So it worked for you?

Nice find!