kepplerck is offline New Member

Unhappy Updates were not configured correctly. Reverting changes. Do not turn off your comp

Please help! Automatic updates apparently did not configure correctly. Now this message appears. The computer then shuts down and restarts itself. I have tried F8 in all modes including last known good configuration and system restore but it continues. I can't even boot from cd/dvd. All I get is this message and the computer restarts, and restarts, and restarts. Can anyone help me get my windows back???

alsiladka is offline Senior Member

Thats scary!
    Even booting into safe mode and uninstalling the updates manually does not work?

To boot from CD/DVD, make sure the BIOS has been configured to boot from CD/DVD before the Hard disk. Try booting with your Windows CD and doing a repair install.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Your first priority should be to get your computer to start... in ANY mode. So here are few of my thoughts. try them out:

1) Turn off your computer. Unplug from power for several minutes. Then see if you are able to go to safe mode.

2) If not get your Vista installation DVD (or borrow from a friend). Insert the DVD in the tray & boot from the DVD. After you choose the language option, I think, the System Recovery Options Menu will appear. In this option, choose Startup repair and follow directions. This will automatically fix problems that are preventing your Windows Vista from starting.

3) If you are unable to boot from the DVD. While your computer is starting, Press F2 or DEL key to enter your BIOS settings. Here edit the settings to make sure that your machine is set to boot from CD/DVD first. Then try Step 2 again.

Once you are able to get into Safe Mode, try a System Restore OR Uninstall the latest WindowsUpdates.

These may interest you for general reading:

Windows Vista Updates Fail To Install

Cannot Update Windows using Windows Update.

PS : Are you able to boot in safe mode or not ? And if you are able to boot in safe mode, are you still unable to uninstall the updates?? And if your are unable to even boot from the DVD, try step 3 first.