Thread: Resource Issues

pacifico is offline New Member

Default Resource Issues

I have an HP Pavilion desktop with (1) windows vista 64 bit (2) 8 GB RAM (3) 512 mb dedicated video memory NVDIA graphics card.

Whenever I have a large number of applications running - typically over 100 instances of Internet Explorer (combination of tabs/windows) reach a point where when I open up and additional tab of IE or other program where my graphics go haywire and some programs that I attempt to run will give me out of resource errors. Tabs in Firefox, if running, will be unreadable - and remain that way. If I shut down a couple of processes the graphics return to normal (Except for firefox).

When this happens I am only using half of my 8 GB RAM and the CPU is 30% at most. Could this have anything to do with Desktop heap from Windows Vista limiting what I can do? I have the settings for Desktop heap set to the maximum values recommended by Microsoft.

Does anyone have any experience with running many applications like this? I have checked: (1) RAM memory (2) Graphics card (3) Drivers (4) Virus's. If I remain under the limit when the problem starts everything remains fine.

estra is offline Windows Enthusiast

In regards to Firefox, in my understanding, it cannot use all the available memory in your system as it is a 32-bit application.

IE is 64-bit, on the other hand, so I am not sure what to make of this.