VistaOpfer is offline New Member

Question Cannot Play DVD's Any More Under Vista!

Hello,
    I have a problem on my Dell Notebook XPS M2010 with OS Windwos Vista Ultimate:

Suddenly I cannot play DVD's anymore!
    No matter which programme I try, WMP, RealPlayer, Quicktime, WindowsMediaCenter....
    If I insert a DVD, Vista is asking me with which programme I want to play the DVD.
    If I then click on one of the programmes, the opening window of that programme would still open for a moment, but then the computer hangs (completely). Nothing works any more (except the reset-button).

I have already tried a hardware-check with Dell. The guys on the hotline told me it must be a software-problem (ALL player-programmes should have a problem???)

Can anybody help me?
    Many thanks in advance!
    Sincerely
    Tom

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Not 100% certain hat this will help in your situation. But you might as well try it: Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs

Default Cannot Play DVD's Any More Under Vista!

Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Not 100% certain hat this will help in your situation. But you might as well try it: Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs
    Thanks a lot!
    I'll try that, hope it helps!

Cheers,
    Tom

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Perhaps your file associations have got corrupted and you need to fix them. If the FixIt doesnt help, check this too: File association fixes for Windows Vista

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    Perhaps your file associations have got corrupted and you need to fix them. If the FixIt doesnt help, check this too: File association fixes for Windows Vista
    Thanks a lot!
    If everything fails, I might try this as well, but I am missing the file associations for DVD's (which is something like .vob and .buf and maybe some more.

Nevertheless, I do hope the "FixIt" will solve the problem (even though I would be surprised that something simple as that could solve a delicate problem like this one!

But if it does... I'll send a big "Hurray" to Bill Gates!

Meanwhile many thanks again,
    Cheers,
    Tom

knightrider™ is offline Gold Member

Did u try Km player or Power dvd vob files expert it is ...

Quote Originally Posted by knightrider™ View Post
    Did u try Km player or Power dvd vob files expert it is ...
    Not sure if I don't understand this post because my English is so poor or due to semantic problems in the post!?

knightrider™ is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by VistaOpfer View Post
    Not sure if I don't understand this post because my English is so poor or due to semantic problems in the post!?
    Sorry if was not clear, I mean to say there is a software by the name KMplayer or Powerdvd which plays .vob files .Do give it a try and get back if you are still facing the problem.

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

WMP 12 in Windows 7 plays .vob file by default perfectly...

brophy75 is offline New Member

I hardly know anything about Vista to be honest (since I just got forced into it with a new purchase), but I did find that the computer I bought did not come with DVD software like all my previous computers. It came with some allowing me to create DVD's, but not actually play them. Since I still had the software that came with my old dead computer I loaded it up and it plays DVD's fine now. Why this is such a big deal I don't have a clue. Hope that helps.