Newy is offline Windows Enthusiast

Default Wiped?? Deleted Old Windows files.

Sorry its me again...

After my recent troubles I decided to delete the old windows file?...I am now left with nothing in the start menu except for internet and email icons...it says I have no restore points...I have looked in programes and everything is still there and it is aware of updates I have done...what am I missing...

Thank you for all help so far Im starting to hate computers

Newy

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

I dont think anything will help You may have to manually re-stock your start menu.

I hope someone else here has better ideas...

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

There is no reason to hate computers because you are missing a few shortcuts in your start menu. Just go into All Programs or Program Files on your OS partition and find the .exes for the programs you want to appear in the start menu. The right click on that and "Pin to start menu". That takes only a few minutes.
    A lot of people (including myself) do not even use the start menu to launch their programs. I have mine (about 50 programs, websites and folders) in private toolbars, Quick Launch and the AppLauncher in the sidebar. I guess it is a matter to what you are used to.

rkonit is offline Gold Member

How did you do that?
    Did you use DiskCleanup?

seti is offline Member

when you did the delete was there an option to back up? If not then you have to try an application like undelete or something similar. Have you tried system restore in safe mode?

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

check whether the list recently opened programs option is checked or not....to do so right click on start button and then select properties and in privacy check the options....or you can pin any program from the list of All Programs in the start menu, just right click on the program icon and click on pin to start menu option.

Newy is offline Windows Enthusiast

I used Revo which I normally love but maybe went too far....Thanks for all replies I will try them...my biggest concern is than none of the microsoft styff is in start menu its totally empty say stuff like tools accsessories etc how do I put those back .....it wont even find cmd when I put in search etc...

Luckily I use Mozy so all backed up but the Microsoft stuff is a worry....

Newy

ha14 is offline Windows Enthusiast

Well go to cmd and do sfc/scannow

scannow sfc - LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker)

Start > Run and type sfc /scannow and the click OK.
    Note the space between the c and the /
    You may need your Windows XP CD so have it ready.
    If you have Service Pack 2 (SP2) or SP3 installed, you will need the SP2 or SP3 version of the version of the CD. This can be done with a borrowed CD, if you don't have one.
    Allow the scan to run and when completed, reboot the system.

SFC gives an administrator the ability to scan all protected files to verify their versions and it will attempt to replace missing or corrupted system files by proper versions if it can locate a valid copy on your hard disk. If it cannot find a copy on your hard disk it will ask you to insert your Windows XP CD. You must have a valid copy of your Windows service pack (SP) revision level for this to work properly.

if you cannot access to run then download runmimic

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...RunMimic.shtml