Highlander is offline New Member

Thumbs down Eternal loop - Updates didn't configure

Hello All. I am new here, and I kind of wish I wasnt, but Vista SP1 x64 has TOTALLY screwed up on me. I dl'd some updates. A couple of them didn't take. So, the only I get the message I get was: "Updates didn't configure correctly. Reverting Updates...Do not shut down computer" then it shut down and started all over again with the same damn message.... Over and over again...

I even went into my BIOS and disabled the hard drive to try and boot XP Professional. Nope The computer wasnt having that. I got a message saying that set up stopped due to the possible f'ing up of my hard drive, etc, etc...

That "Updates didn't configure" was the only screen I could get for hours because it was on an eternal loop. But just now, I got up and checked it's status, and low & behold, I FINALLY saw my login screen.

So, my question now is, do I junk Vista and revert back to my XP Professional 32 bit? Becasue I will say right now that I've had more problems with Vista than any other MS Windows platform since Windows hit the market.

And just our of curiosity (the main reason I am here) how the HELL do you get out of a loop like that, other than let Vista run it's course? How would one go about downgrading to XP Professional (let alone try and fix the problem with a Vista back up) when stuck in a loop like I encountered?

Thank you to anyone who might have answers in advance.

~H~

iMav is offline Gold Member

Q: How to get out of the loop?
    A: Safe Mode Always works

Q: How to fix it?
    A: System Restore. Mostly works

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Pls also check this and this.

That should hopefully help.

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

i've also faced the same problem when last time i installed the vista, but after clearing windows update backups n renaming software distribution folder in windows folder and restarting windows update service solved my problem.....