ian mckenz is offline New Member

Default Windows Mail attachment file associations - cannot open PDF attachments

I had two versions of Adobe on my computer, and have deleted the older version. Now I cannot open PDF attachments in a mail message, unless I drag/drop it onto my desktop, then it opens fine.

So the file association for .pdf files is okay, just not within Windows Mail. The error message says that the file does not have a program associated with it and to create an association in the Set Associations control panel.

As far as I can tell there is no Set Associations control panel, plus the association between .pdf files and Adobe is correctly set... just not within Windows Mail.

Ideas...?

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Uninstall both editions of Adobe. Restart PC.

Install the latest version. Now see if it solves the problem.

Also see Change or Set File Associations in Windows Vista.

seti is offline Member

Do what Andy says or you could try to install PDF Exchange, which is free and I what I use rather than Adobe as my PDF viewer. Sorry I do not have a link for you on this, but if you search with Bing it will take you there.

ian mckenz is offline New Member

Uninstalled all versions and reinstalled the latest Reader. I noticed an empty Adobe Reader folder and deleted that too. But - same problem, I can read PDF files everywhere except as Mail attachments. Associations are correcty within the Windows control panel, but I still cannot find the "Set Associations Control Panel" that the error message mentions... does it exist??

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

I would install Foxit ( Foxit Reader - Reviews and free Foxit Reader downloads at Download.com ). Apart from being a better .pdf reader than Adobe, it will supersede all the Adobe settings and will probably fix your problem.