10th October 2009, 23:52 #1
Windows Vista Update + Recovery CD
i am new to this forum,I have 2 part questions and need help with this ASAP, please.Anyone who can help me.
In India, I gave my mom, a laptop with Skype installed. I remotely control it from NY, in my house I don't have anyone who knows much about computer, my friend is afraid to help(he know only basic about computers)
1. Toshiba laptop with Vista Home Prem. with SP2. When I click on windows update I get the below error message (This is going on for 3 weeks):
Vista -80070424 Windows update encountered an unknown error. Cannot update. Try again. No matter how many times I try, nothing works.
Toshiba did not give me Backup Cd, called customer service, they said I did not purchase software warranty, so it is not included, I can buy one for $59.99. or I can do it my own, I asked them to help me to create a Restore CD,again same answer not included in warranty.
If anyone can help me how to create this Backup CD, if the Vista OS,does crash and Blue Screen of Death do invade the laptop, atleast with my friends help I can restore it back.
Thank you in anticipation, to who ever wants to help me with this. Your valuable time is truly appreciated.
11th October 2009, 02:32 #2
I often find if you Reset IE it solves many Windows Update problems. Open IE and go to tools, internet options, advanced, and click on Reset, click Reset again.
This resets the IE settings and turns off almost all add ons. You may need to go into add on manager and enable nay you want to run.
11th October 2009, 04:07 #3
1. The description or explanation for the Error code 0x80070424 is:
Due to a bug in BITS 1.5 OOB setup, after BITS 1.5 install, the BITS service is deleted, but the 1.5 install returns success code. BITS 1.5 binaries are copied to the machine, but the service doesn’t exist. This can also happen if the BITS service is explicitly deleted by running the command sc delete bits.
Pls check in your Services.msc, if your Background Intelligence Transfer Service is started and set on Automatic.
You might also want to see if Windows 7 or Vista Updates Fail To Install helps you.
2. OEM laptop typically do not come with DVD/CD backups; atmost a factory image. You can restore your computer back to that image or simply use a friends DVD and use your OEM serial.
If you are happy with the existing state of your OS you may want to clone it now using any free Ghosting/Cloning software. Try EASEUS Todo Backup for Windows.
You can use Ultimate Boot CD to create a recovery CD easily.
11th October 2009, 06:50 #4
You can reinstall a Toshiba system from the recovery partition with this procedure:
1. Make sure the computer is turned off.
2. Press and hold the 0 (zero) key on your keyboard while powering on the computer. When the computer powers on, the Toshiba Recovery Wizard screen displays.
3. Select one of the options, and then click Next. The options are: Recovery of Factory Default Software (recommended) or Erase the hard disk.
There is more info in the Toshiba users guide page 62: http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com//con...00_08Aug05.pdf -- this is a very useful document all together.
Finally, you should burn the recovery DVDs from the recovery partition. There should be instructions in the little booklet that came with the PC. The procedures are unfortunately different for each make.