perfection is offline New Member

Default Vista32 OS on a x64 bit machine

I have a legal purchased version of Vista 32 and am keen on buying a new PC running on a x64 AMD processor. Can I install my 32 bit Vista OS on the same??

Any disadvantages doing this?? Will i get the benefit that comes from a x64 machine or do i lose it becasue i am running a x86 OS on it??

What kind of OS should i be loading on a x64 bit machine if i am to utilize the maximum power and speed from my machine

iMav is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by perfection View Post
    I have a legal purchased version of Vista 32 and am keen on buying a new PC running on a x64 AMD processor. Can I install my 32 bit Vista OS on the same??
    Yes.
    Any disadvantages doing this?? Will i get the benefit that comes from a x64 machine or do i lose it becasue i am running a x86 OS on it??
    Advantage:

Better app compatibility

Disadvantage:

Can't access more than 4GB RAM (if you're system has it.)
    What kind of OS should i be loading on a x64 bit machine if i am to utilize the maximum power and speed from my machine
    A 64bit OS.

Install a 64bit OS only if you have more than 4GB RAM on the system, else it doesn't matter.

seti is offline Member

I can not see the sense the in having a 32 bit vista on the 64 bit personally. I have an AMD 64 system and have had no problems running anything on it, that I need, progamms applications etc. To get the best out of Vista and windows7 I think you really should use the 64 bit versions. You can run the 32 Vista on it ok, but not get the full experience or enjoyment.

estra is offline Windows Enthusiast

Personally I am running 32bit OS on my 64bit capable machine with 4GB RAM.

As I work with graphics intensive applications, I find that it is more efficient to go with 32 bits with this configuration, as 64bit OS and applications add more memory overhead and this slows my work down.

When I will have 8GB RAM, then I will switch to 64 bits.

rkonit is offline Gold Member

In a line .... If you have more than 3GB of RAM and 64bit processor go for 64bit Windows otherwise 32bit.