roraniel is offline Gold Member

Default Question about upgrade installation.

I am doing an upgrade installation for friend from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Ultimate. I normally like to do clean installs but the friend doesn't have installation CD's for their numerous applications.

I have done a disk image already for backup but my question is, should I make sure Vista is completely up to date with all the current patches before the upgrade install or doesn't it matter? Right now it is at SP1. Also, I assume I should turn off any AV programs before I start?

nithinr6 is offline Senior Member

I don't think it is necessary to install all the updates. But you have to disable the AV.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Upgrading from, say SP1 to SP2, may require a patch to be installed; but installing from Vista to W7 - Vista need not be updated. No need to de-activate your AV too...

seti is offline Member

I think you've taken wise precautions, however if you just follow the above then you should be alright.

nithinr6 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    Upgrading from, say SP1 to SP2, may require a patch to be installed; but installing from Vista to W7 - Vista need not be updated. No need to de-activate your AV too...
    i didnt know that you needn't disable AV. Then woudnt it interfere with the upgrade?

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Everything went smooth.

The compatibility check flagged Avast AV, iTunes, and HP Quick Launch Buttons Software. I uninstalled these programs and the upgrade completed without any issues, but unlike a fresh install it took about an hour and a half to complete.

After completion I did Windows Update, reinstalled the latest versions of the apps I uninstalled, did a disk cleanup, did a disk defrag, and the laptop runs better than new according to the owner.

rkonit is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    you may need to disable / uninstall AV to avoid any capability issues during installation. I suggest to use Windows 7 Upgrade Adivisior before you go for windows 7.

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor