Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    davidnick is offline New Member

Default Computer system is very slow

anybody help me bcz my computer system is very slow open anything very slow and take much time, i ran Norton Anti virus but didnt find any virus.
    so what i can do to speed up system ?

david

riteshtechie is offline Software Developer

remove Norton AV its the most resource hungry AV made.......

Also have a look Turn Off Unneeded Services, speed up pc | Tips n Tricks |

leofelix is offline Member

welcome davinick
    what version of Norton (2008/2009/2010?) antivirus do you use and what O.S do you have (XP/Vista/Seven)?

In the meanwhile

download StartUp Lite (free and stand alone) to your desktop

http://www.malwarebytes.org/StartUpLite.exe

• Version: 1.07
    • File Size: 199.70 KB
    • Operating Systems: Microsoft Windows 2000, XP, Vista.
    • Languages Available: English only.

Run it.

StartUpLite is a lightweight and simple to use application that allows you to speed up your system startup, safely and efficiently. The program allows you to disable or remove unnecessary startup entries from your computer. By using StartUpLite, you can dramatically help shorten your startup time with only a few clicks of the mouse.
    Download ATF Cleaner to your desktop and clean your browser cache and unnecessary temp files (it works with Vista too)

Now please download and install MalwareBytes' Antimalware free, update it and run a quick scan

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebyte...=dl&tag=button

Now please post a MalwareBytes' Antimalware log file in your reply (copy and paste it)

Thank you
    Last edited by leofelix; 15th November 2009 at 05:50.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Restrict the number of start-ups. That itself will help you a lot. Why have programs starting up when you don't really use them. Even those you use can always be started manually by clicking on the. I personally prefer not to have ANY startups. So decide for yourself which one's you really need as start-ups. Do also remove any pre-installed crapware which may have come pre-installed on your new Vista machine, as many a time its these craplets that cause a machine to crawl !

Consider addl options at Make Windows Start, Run, Shutdown Faster ! only if you are a tweak enthusiast.

leofelix is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    Do also remove any pre-installed crapware which may have come pre-installed on your new Vista machine, as many a time its these craplets that cause a machine to crawl !
    Our new member could use

Download | The PC Decrapifier

It's free and able to remove the most of the crapware preinstalled as you know

seti is offline Member

Install winpatrol and that will tell you what services are starting and then you can see what you need and what you do not need. Uninstall applications that you do not need, for example games, if you do not play them uninstall them. Defrag you system using smartdefrag or some other defragger. Download and install, Ccleaner as this is quite good at removing rubbish.

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

use msconfig utility to simply control your startups and services

and for more customization and improvement in performance try Ultimate Windows Tweaker.

roraniel is offline Gold Member

@davidnick

My colleges have made some good suggestions. Here is a logical multi step approach.

1. Norton has been criticized for being resource hungry. I used to run Norton Internet Security and it brought my system to a halt. Microsoft has introduced and very good free security program call Security Essentials that has gotten some very good reviews and it is free. You may also look into ESET or Kaspersky for paid security suites

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

ESET - Antivirus Software with Spyware and Malware Protection

Home Computer Security - Kaspersky Lab United States

2. Clean up junk. I personally use CCleaner. It is a very good free tool for cleaning out the junk that surfing the internet and everyday use of the computer creates.

CCleaner - Home

3. Clogged Registry. CCleaner also has a built in registry cleaner. Your registry gets clogged with old useless keys from installing and uninstalling programs. This is more of a problem with Windows XP and not so much with Vista and 7 but when I get a computer from a client that is really running slow I use CCleaner to clean up the registry. I would not use other so called registry cleaners and they are dangerous. CCleaner is proven to be pretty safe. Just make sure you save a backup of the registry before you clean the registry. It will ask you every time if you want to do the backup so it is pretty easy to use.

I also use a free program called Revo uninstaller to uninstall programs and keep the registry clean. After revo runs the apps built in uninstaller, Revo uninstaller scans your system for left over registry keys and files and gives you the option to delete them. I have used this for a few years and it is pretty effective.

4. Manage starup programs. Revo uninstaller also has a built in startup manager. Almost all apps have something start when Windows starts. Most are worthless and just eat up resources.

Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Uninstall Software, Remove Programs, Solve uninstall problems

5. Make sure your system is up to date. Use Windows update and use Secunia Software Inspector to see if the rest of your apps are not up to date which could result in security holes which could result in viruses and topic number 6.

Scan Now - Online (OSI) - Vulnerability Scanning - Secunia.com

6. Spyware, adware, and malware are a leading cause of slow systems. I suggest Malwaebytes, and Spybot Search & Destroy. There are many others out there but I use these two. Use the full or deep scan options to clean your system. Use them several times until you come up completely clean.

Malwarebytes.org

The home of Spybot-S&D!

7. Defrag your hard drive. Your drive gets fragmented after daily use. Vista and Windows have built in defragers. Make sure they are set to defrag automatically and do a manually started defrag after the previous 6 steps are complete.

You can also use third party defragers. A good free one is Smart Defrag. I use a good paid app called Perfect Disk.

Defragment Disk | Smart Defrag | Free&Server Defragmenter Download | Defrag Server 2008/2003/2000 RAID Supported!

Defrag PC | Defrag Home Server | Disk Defragmentation | Boot Faster - PerfectDisk

I "speed up" several slow computers a month and this is the method I use. I use all the free apps I have suggested here. I charge $75 USD for this. I give you my proven method for free!!

Keep in mind that prevention is the best medicine. All the free apps I have recommended here are a good start. As suggested earlier WinPatrol is a good free app for monitoring unauthorized changes to your system and after long debates on this forum most of us have concluded that UAC is worth keeping turned on.

http://www.winpatrol.com/

Keep in mind this is my own personal method and the apps that I like. Other members will suggest other apps. Just about any app a long term member of this forum suggests will be a good app.

Good luck

Cithel is offline Senior Member

Nice post Roraniel!!

windowsdoc is offline New Member

great tips.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last