davev8app is offline New Member

Default is 25 gig the norm for vista instail

Hi i have just got a second hand laptop with what seams like a fresh install of vista business. i have spent 3 days with nothing but updates +sp1+sp2 which sp2 slowed it down big time but sorted now (it was power management cutting cpu to 50% max).Allthow it looks like a fresh install as has no software on it
    Vista is taking up 25 gig of a 80gig drive. is this the norm for vista as i have run XP on 10gig drive ,if its not the norm which i suspect what is it and what can i do abut it Thanks dave

seti is offline Member

to reduce the space taken do this: open, type in the box compcln.exe, hit enter and then say yes to clean and you will recovermuch of the space taken up.

Default thanks

yes thanks that made over 3gig of space but i made a error of how much space was used as i looked at space left on the 80 gig drive but forgetting that on a 80 gig i have 74.5 gig to start with so the install was almost 30 gig and is still 26gig is this the norm for vista business ?

seti is offline Member

it seem a lot still to me, but my friend tells me that you may see between 25- 30 gig taken up but that includes a recovery as well. I can not think quite where but there is a tool that tells you exactly what is taking up the space> I am sure that some one here will tell you. One thing that I can advise is to go to pcpitstop.com and let them do a complete test and that might highlight things for you and tell you how to correct them

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

If you do not use hibernation, you can also delete the hibernation file. Go into elevated command prompt (cmd), type powercfg.exe -h off and hit Enter. That will save you another 2 or 3 Gigs.
    Btw: 20 to 30GB is not unusual for Vista. On one of my systems it is 65GBs, but that is a "loaded" system. Part of the space is used by shadowstorage (up to 12GBs on your 80GB drive). You can reduce that too, but I would not recommend that.
    If you run WinDirStat ( http://windirstat.info/ ), it will tell you exactly where your space goes. But it will not show you the shadowstorage. For that you have to use vssadmin list shadowstorage in cmd.
    Last edited by whs; 13th December 2009 at 19:54.

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

also execute one more command, open cmd as admin, execute compcln.exe command to gain some more disk space (up to 1.5 gigs). it cleans all the backup files created by the Service packs....

or you have to use Windows Vista with SP2 disc to install the Vista.

HI thanks all for your help it seams it just a big OS thanks

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

Quote Originally Posted by davev8app View Post
    HI thanks all for your help it seams it just a big OS thanks
    yeah Windows Vista takes 11 GB space to install......it is so big because it support wide hardware compatibility.....you just plug a device and it works like charm, no other driver or anything required to connect with....all this because of the wide compatibility provides by Vista and 7.......

the main OS files are not so big, most of the part is of drivers and other user benefit features like hibernate mode......

rkonit is offline Gold Member

Not all the time, these bunch of drivers work... most of them are designed as generic drivers.