Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    carl606 is offline Beginner

Question getting "gpedit" on vista home premium

Hello everyone

I've been trying to get gpedit running on home premium by following this artical.

[Link removed by moderator]

But as i thought i am running into problems, i get to the group policy editor where it says, "MMC could not create the snap-in"

I then run the MMC, and follow what the link says and try to add the snap-ins
    But when i get to the "local users and groups" i come accross this.

I belive it can be done, as others have been able to manage it, so is there any advice on what i might try next.

I am not sure but do you have to change the DWORD value of
    LmCompatibilityLevel 3 to "0"

Or just any other advice that may help....
    Last edited by leofelix; 22nd December 2009 at 20:16. Reason: link removed due to EULA violation

Cithel is offline Senior Member

Um, not to be judgmental but this would seem to violate the license agreement for your version of Vista. Sorry if I'm wrong but in the article you linked where it talks about "wizardry" I'd substitute the word "hack". Copying files from one version of windows to add functionality in another version of windows is almost certainly a license agreement violation (although I'm no lawyer).

What are you trying to do as an end result? There is probably another way to accomplish the same thing.

Best of luck!
    Last edited by Cithel; 22nd December 2009 at 19:43.

leofelix is offline Member

I agree with you Cithel: there is a breach of EULA
    As a consequence I removed the link provided by Carl606
    Thank you for understanding

Hello guys

I completly understand your views on this, and really i did not know about the EULA.

What are you trying to do as an end result? There is probably another way to accomplish the same thing.
    I don't think there is another way to achieve this.

It all started when i posted a question on another forum, asking if you could use "TweakUAC" on a standard account, as i use the hidden admin account i thought this would be handy to have on my standard account.

I recieved a few replys telling me i need group policy for that,with a link on how to get gpedit on vista home premium, but they did not seem to know about the problems when you try this or any fixes, so i was left in the dark
    like i new i would be.

But anyway its not a problem if this is not possable, at least i've learnt something about it

Quote Originally Posted by carl606 View Post
    I completly understand your views on this, and really i did not know about the EULA.
    I thought that might be the case from reading your post. Don't sweat it, lots of people do know stuff like this and do it anyway.

OK, So if I understand correctly what you are attempting to do is make UAC a bit less intrusive while still having it enabled? If that is the case you can still do it but its a little more complicated without the group policy editor.

This article: Make Vista's User Account Control Work for You gets into the details and makes several suggestions. The last paragraph tells you how to make changes to the registry to accomplish less intrusive UAC behavior on Vista Home versions.

Two things you should be aware of. First and foremost is backup your registry before making any changes. Don't skip this step (like I usually do) and end up having to reinstall your OS (like I have done way to many times!)

Second thing is that this makes the system a bit less secure so have your anti-malware/anti-virus/firewall in place prior to doing this.

I'm not suggesting that you don't do it and don't let the warnings worry you, just stuff you should know before hand.

[QUOTE=Cithel;146086]I thought that might be the case from reading your post. Don't sweat it, lots of people do know stuff like this and do it anyway.

OK, So if I understand correctly what you are attempting to do is make UAC a bit less intrusive while still having it enabled? If that is the case you can still do it but its a little more complicated without the group policy editor.

This article: Make Vista's User Account Control Work for You gets into the details and makes several suggestions. The last paragraph tells you how to make changes to the registry to accomplish less intrusive UAC behavior on Vista Home versions.

QUOTE]

Thanks cithel, for this link....

I've printed this out for future reference.
    But for now, the bottom paragraph ....

With your Registry backup in place, click Start, type regedit, and press Enter. In the tree pane on the left, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System. With the System icon selected in the left pane, double-click ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin in the right pane. Change the Value data to 0 and click OK. You should see the effect immediately (no restart required).
    This was the very first thing i tryed, before asking the question about UAC.

OK, cithel, i run the hidden admin account so this is set to "0" anyway.
    But i tryed setting it to "0" on the " ConsentPromptBehaviorUser " and this did not work, i was still getting the prompts on the standard account.

But basically this is only what TweakUAC would have done set
    ConsentPromptBehavioruser to "0" .

I am seeing it a bit more clearly now, as to why i needed "gpedit"
    Of couse this is not going to work on a standard account, its the same thing tweakUAC does. (how silly am i )

I'll go back to the link cithel, and look for another method.
    O by the way, i mostly use the standard account all the time.

Turning UAC of completly, would be another option, but i will have to find out how you get rid of the security alerts, but i am unsure whether this is a good idea.

the next one "turn UAC off as needed" may be a better option, i'll have a look at that in a little more detail cithel.

I'll post back anyway..

Please do post back, I'll be interested to hear what you find. I *think* I have a Technet subscription version of Vista Home Premium around here someplace. I'll try to find it and throw it into a VM so I can see (rather than try to remember) what the options are.

Quote Originally Posted by Cithel View Post
    Please do post back, I'll be interested to hear what you find. I *think* I have a Technet subscription version of Vista Home Premium around here someplace. I'll try to find it and throw it into a VM so I can see (rather than try to remember) what the options are.
    OK thanks cithel

Turn UAC On and Off as Needed
    Make Vista's User Account Control Work for You

I;ve just been over this a few times, but just checking.

Does this option mean, that when i use the shortcut to turn "UAC" off.

Obviously it will be off, but will i then still get the security prompts all the time
    When i use this option.

If i disable the sercurity pop-ups, doesen't this stop notification of anti virus , and other essential security issues.
    Last edited by carl606; 24th December 2009 at 05:09. Reason: spelling mistake

I hope I'm answering the questions you are asking, if not let me know and I'll try again.

Obviously it will be off, but will i then still get the security prompts all the time
    When i use this option.
    If you are running with UAC off there will be no more UAC notifications until you turn it back on.

If i disable the sercurity pop-ups, doesen't this stop notification of anti virus , and other essential security issues.
    Yes, sort of, but only the notifications that Security Center gives you which are mostly just notifications that security programs are running or not. Your anti-malware/anti-virus/firewall should be alerting you independently from Security Center when there is an issue that requires your attention.

When you open security center and click "Change the way security center alerts me" You should have three options:
    Yes, notify me and display the icon (which is the default behavior)
    Don't notify me, but display the icon (what you want)
    Don't notify me and don't display the icon (not what you want)

If you choose the second option the icon in the notification area will act as a visual cue that something is up, like you are running with UAC off at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Cithel View Post
    I hope I'm answering the questions you are asking, if not let me know and I'll try again.

If you are running with UAC off there will be no more UAC notifications until you turn it back on.

Yes, sort of, but only the notifications that Security Center gives you which are mostly just notifications that security programs are running or not. Your anti-malware/anti-virus/firewall should be alerting you independently from Security Center when there is an issue that requires your attention.

ARR, thanks cithel that was my main concern, but you have just clarified this a bit better for me, so as you said the second option is not to bad.

As i say i won't be using this all the time, so mostly UAC will be on.
    It will come in handy for when i am using "acronis" and "defraggler" which some days i am always either backing up something, or deleting old backups. or using the defraggler program, and constantly typing my password in during the day.

I could just switch to the admin account to do this, but most of my time is spent on the standard account.

OK the cithel, i will create the batch files to turn it on and off.

And thankyou again for helping me......

MERRY CHRISTMAS.....

Page 1 of 2 12 Last