davidjones2649 is offline Beginner

Unhappy Can't get network access to my Vista PC

You've seen this problem before and if this is the wrong forum please feel free to move it but this is driving me crazy!!!

I have 4 PCs on a small network - 3 run XP and 1 runs Vista Home Premium.

One of the XPs is connected wirelessly the other three are hard wired to a Netgear router. All the XP computers can see each other and can access each others shared folders. There is no problem with any of these.

The Vista PC can see all the others and they appear in the Network Map in the correct places (Very pretty and quite a handy feature). I can access all of the XP computers from the Vista computer but although the XP computers can see the Vista PC they can't access Vista's shared folders.

On Vista I have set up the network as "Private" and have shared the folders as full access to "Everyone". Network Discovery, File Sharing, Public Folder Sharing and Printer Sharing are ON - Password Protected Sharing and Media Sharing are OFF. I have checked that all the Workgroup names are correct and identical.

After all of this when I go to one of the XP machines and dispaly the entire network all hte PC's appear including the Vista PC. However when I click on the Vista PC to see the shared items on the Vista machine all I get is an instant "Access is denied".

I don't know what else to do! Please Help

roraniel is offline Gold Member

What AV are you using? I used to use Kaspersky Internet Security and I had to also go into Kaspersky firewall settings and set the network to private.

The problem stays exactl the same with AVG and Avast. All computers are using the basic Windows Firewall. I trust the firewall in the router for protection from external attack.

Smile Solved

Well I finally solved my problem but don't know which action achieved it or whether it was a combination of actions. If anyone is interested here's what I did.

On the Vista machine I edited the sharing of the Public Folder, all sub-folders and files to be fully shared .

Checked the security settings for all Public Folders, sub-folders and files and set all users to Full Control.

Added "Everybody" as a user and allocated Full Control to this user.

Rebooted after each step but still couldn't access the shared folders on the Vista machine.

In desperation I edited the registry; went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SYSTEM / CurrentControlSet / Control / Lsa
    Change the value of a key called "restrictanonymous" to 0 instead of 1

Quick reboot and Hey Presto my networking is working properly

My network is secure and so I didn't mind reducing some apparent security settings. Don't know if this is suitable for everyone but it might give a few clues.

Good Luck
    Last edited by davidjones2649; 3rd February 2010 at 18:38.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Thanks for sharing davidjones2649 Hope it helps else someone too someday ...

Dynosaur is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    Thanks for sharing davidjones2649 Hope it helps else someone too someday ...
    No doubt, I will one day have reason to be grateful. This is the type of problem I encounter almost on a daily basis. As a result of my past experiences, I like to archive threads such as these as they could one day save my hours of ripping out my hair. Thank you davidjones2649!