Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    karthik is offline New Member

Smile file NTVDM.exe has stopped working

I am using quickheal total security on my laptop installed with windows7.

I foolishly used a tool called duplicate file finder on my c drive and deleted some of the files, before i realised what i was doing and aborted the process.

Now whenever i open certain files i get a window titled "C:\Windows\system32\DIIHost.exe" with a cursor blinking in it, till i get a popup window saying file NTVDM.exe has stopped working & windows is searching for a solution for the problem...and i have to finally close the program.

Moreover i am unable to uninstall few folders.

i tried to use the command prompt but the dos window opens and automatically closes itself.

please tell me how to rectify the problem.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

First try running sfc /scannow
    How to Run System File Checker & Interpret its logs in Windows 7 & Vista | The Windows Club

If not then a system restore to a good prior point.

If it still doesnt help, lets scratch our heads later on

thanks Andy.
    i tried to search fr cmd n run sfc /scannow, but the cmd window didnt stay long enough fr me to type sfc /scannow, so i downloaded fixwin and tried to run sfc utility but the scanning took more than 2 hr, yet it didnt display any results, so i closed the window.

i formatted my laptop recently so i dont think i have a system restore point.

is there any way i can i can repair that file (ntvdm.exe)....or possible get it from somewhere?

To run the System File Checker in Windows 7 or Vista, type cmd in start search box. In the result, which appear, on top, right click on cmd and select Run As Administrator.

In the command prompt window which opens, type sfc /scannow and hit Enter.

Wait till the scan gets over. Go for a coffee or something ... it will take time. But let it complete the run.

See if it helps.

I can mail you the ntvdm.exe if you want. Just ensure that the version and other specs are same. But I dont know if it will help.

Btw the original MS ntvdm.exe files is situated in the system32 folder. If found elsewhere, it could be malware...

Andy
    I did as u instructed, before u instructed.
    But this is what happens...
    I type cmd in the start search box.
    In the result, which appears, on top, I right click on cmd and select Run As Administrator.
    The command prompt window opens, but it only stays long enough to catch a glimpse of it and then it automatically closes.

The same thing happens no matter when i try.

Maybe, when i ran the duplicate file finder utility on my c drive, it must have deleated some of the duplicate ntvdm.exe files, present at various locations.

now what do u suggest i do?

MrMBerman is offline Senior Member

A simple Google search for "DIIHost.exe" returns Virus W32.Gaobot.

As Andy mentioned above, it could be malware causing the problem and is not connected to the file cleaner, unless the malware came with the file cleaner.

Might be worth running this free Norton tool to confirm whether the problem is malware related or not. http://www.symantec.com/content/en/u...s/FxGaobot.exe

Or try malwarebytes or similar.

Marc
    I scanned my laptop.
    It is clean.

I missed the DIIHost.exe part. Chances are its malware as pointed out above by MrMBerman. See if the file exists in your system32 folder and if so, right click on it check on its properties, just for information purposes. Delete this file or use delete doctor to delete it on reboot.

Then log in and as admin and try running sfc, or use FixWin to run it.

Running a hijack-this scan and posting its results here may help see what is happening on your system.

Sorry for the delay in responding.

The file exists in my system32 folder.
    its size is 514KB and its size on disk is 516KB.
    the date when it was modified is 14-07-2009.
    any more information, if required i will post.

I tried to delete this file both normally and using delete doctor, specifing that it must be deleted on my next boot.
    But then it said i cannot delete this file by this method.

Zecom is offline Beginner

Hi karthik

If you have Malwarebytes (works in Win 7) under tools tab try File Assassin or if you don't have Malwarebytes you can just download File Assassin.

Last edited by Zecom; 16th March 2010 at 09:45.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last