Monkstro is offline New Member

Default Need help formatting my Windows Vista HD back to Windows XP!

please NO ONE suggest KILLDISK or anything like that, PLEASE... the last time i formatted my hard drive was 2 years ago and i actually did this same thing. went from Windows Vista BACK to my XP.. i just cant remember how i did it.. i know i was in some sort of MS DOS looking thing.. and i chose to partition my Vista HD or whatever and straight up formatted it... the entire Vista was GONE and once it was gone, i restared or it restarted for me and i had my XP disc in the CD/DVD-Rom drive and it automatically started installing that on the new and clean partition.. Vista was gone, as well as everything i once had.. but i DID back everything important up...

either way, i need some immediate help in doing this.. i know SOMEONE out there knows what im talking about and how to do it this way without KILLDISK or any other software... i just want to use what i already have, like ive done in the past.. format the partition tha Vista is on and start over fresh and new with XP...

my computer came with XP on it and about 2 months later i received the Vista upgrade in the mail and upgraded to it.. well, i hate it and always have and am now just like, screw it, yes, after 2 years.. but i dont care.. better late than never...

so can someone PLEASE help me out?!?! thank you soooo much! you have no idea how badly i need to get this done today..... thank you thank you THANK YOU!!!

LeeW is offline Gold Member

Load your Windows XP disk and when prompted to choose any key to run from disk hit a key on the keyboard to start the windows xp setup. Once it loads the needed drivers you will be shown a list of your available partitions, select the partition (where vista is installed, should be C), then select format, choose the file system you want and format then follow instructions to set up windows xp.

Additional information for formatting and installing windows xp can be found here on Microsofts site
    How to partition and format a hard disk by using Windows XP Setup program