Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    rebecker is offline New Member

Default WiFi Issue After 3G Install

I had a WiFi wireless router hookup that was connected to my computer while I was using dial-up in a rural area. I used it primarily to access the internet from my wi-fi enabled phone. Recently I acquired a 3G USB antenna that I installed on my computer. The 3G antenna works on my computer but I can no longer access the internet through my wi-fi router using my phone. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

-Bob-

johnny.rotton is offline Gold Member

Hello and welcome to TWCF. Could we have some info like OS, router model, and additional to see what we can do?

Quote Originally Posted by johnny.rotton View Post
    Hello and welcome to TWCF. Could we have some info like OS, router model, and additional to see what we can do?
    Thanks for your reply. The router I'm using is an Airport Express Model A1084. I'm on a Vista computer.

When I diagnose the Local Area Connection Status I get an error message "The network adapter "Local Area Connection" does not have a valid IP configuration". The TCP/IPv4 setting is the same as in the past, a static setting of 192.168.0.1 with a subnet mask setting at 255.255.255.0. The DNS server addresses are blank.

-Bob-

I know it sounds simple and it always works for me. Turn everything off including PC, router and modem wait 10 secs the turn them back on starting with, modem. wait for it to finish then router wait again then PC. let me know if it works.
    Last edited by johnny.rotton; 2nd May 2010 at 18:29.

I know it sounds simple and it always works for me. Turn everything off including PC, router and modem wait 10 secs the turn them back on starting with, modem. wait for it to finish then modem wait again then PC. let me know if it works.
    Again, thanks for your reply. While I think I understand your directions, here's my wiring situation:

1. Apple Airport is connected to an outlet and the NIC input on my computer.
    2. 3G antenna is connected to a USB port on my computer.

So,

1. I should plug in the Airport into an outlet and then the computer? No connection will be made because the computer is off. ??
    2. Plug the 3G antenna into the USB port? Again, no connection will be made because the computer is off. ??
    3. Turn on computer.

I will be away from my computer for the next 2 hours, so no rush on a response .

Thanks.

-Bob-

i would say turn off the PC and airport (any order) then unplug any hard wires going from the airport to the PC but keep the antenna plugged in. turn the airport back on after 10 to 20 seconds wait for it to full turn on basically give it 60 secs. then turn the PC on. This should reset any problems from your PC or router. if not then i will see what i can find out about the apple airport and see if there are issues with wireless connection on Vista.

i would say turn off the PC and airport (any order) then unplug any hard wires going from the airport to the PC but keep the antenna plugged in. turn the airport back on after 10 to 20 seconds wait for it to full turn on basically give it 60 secs. then turn the PC on. This should reset any problems from your PC or router. if not then i will see what i can find out about the apple airport and see if there are issues with wireless connection on Vista.
    Nope. Didn't work. I still get the "Invalid IP" message on the Local Area Connection if I diagnose it. Here's what i see on that connection:

IPv4 Connectivity: Local
    IPv6 Connectivity: Local
    Media State: Enabled
    Speed: 100 Mbps

Packets: Sent 291 Received 0

Under "Details":

DHCP Enabled: No
    IPv4 IP Address: 192.168.0.1
    IPv4 Subset Mask: 255.255.255.0
    IPv4 Default Gateway: (Blank)
    IPv4 DNS Server: (Blank)
    IPv4 WINS Server: (Blank)
    NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled: Yes
    (Plus more settings)

Thanks again for your response.

-Bob-

I believe you need to find the router address if i need to set up my Netgear I put the address into the browser and this takes me to settings page. I am not sure if airport are the same. I haven't given up on this yet but its getting late here now, so I may not get an answer or other solutions for around 8 hours.

I believe you need to find the router address if i need to set up my Netgear I put the address into the browser and this takes me to settings page. I am not sure if airport are the same. I haven't given up on this yet but its getting late here now, so I may not get an answer or other solutions for around 8 hours.
    Hmmmm. Since I installed this router several years ago, I'm not sure I can come up with the address. Whatever additional thoughts you have will be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I have a new router that I've been holding off installing. Might that be the easier solution? Or will this error persist because of the LAN connection error?

Thanks again.

-Bob-

Un-box the new one and give it a try at least it will pin point the problem. I will be back on around 11am GMT to see if I can find a solution to this for you. JR

Page 1 of 2 12 Last