CX2S is offline New Member

Default Can I use the same Vista serial while changing from x64 to x86?

Hello all,

My operating system is Windows Vista Ultimate Edition. I presently have the 64 bit version installed but am thinking about switching to the 32 bit when I do a new installation later next month. The reason is that I have several softwares that will not run with 64 bits and I need them.

My question is will this effect my registration and validation? I purchased Vista Ultimate from the Microsoft Store in the UK but cannot find a link for support.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thank you.

johnny.rotton is offline Gold Member

I have no experience in swapping from 64 bit to 32 bit apart from upgrading from Vista to 7 but when it comes to re-installing Windows Vista I have plentiful.
    Every time I re-installed Vista it was fine only now and again it would fail validation. This wasn't too much of a problem as when it did the support details come up with a Free Number to call.
    Its all automated and pretty painless you just follow the step to step guide and you should be soon back in business within 15 mins or so.

I believe this is just to make sure your not using the serial number on loads of different machines.

I hope this helps you, JR

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

You can use the same key for x86 or x64.

James is offline Microsoft MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    Same goes for Windows 7, too.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    Does that apply to OEM versions too? I always thought that this is only the case for retail versions.

ankur is offline Microsoft MVP

Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Does that apply to OEM versions too? I always thought that this is only the case for retail versions.
    Retail keys can be used to activate both 32 bit and 64 bit Operating System,but OEM keys are very specific and wont work if you try to activate 64 bit OS with 32 bit key or vice versa

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by ankur View Post
    Retail keys can be used to activate both 32 bit and 64 bit Operating System,but OEM keys are very specific and wont work if you try to activate 64 bit OS with 32 bit key or vice versa
    Thanks ankur for confirming that. It is what I thought. But since HappyAndyK (who usually is very precise) did not make that distinction, I was not sure any more.
    Last edited by whs; 10th August 2010 at 19:47. Reason: typo