carsonic is offline New Member

Default url shortcut links in IE8 broken

When I click on any URL shortcut in IE8, nothing happens. And when I check on their Properties > Details, no URL displays, and I can't interact with any of the fields (URL, Rating, Description, Notes).

This also happens with URLs that I drag to the desktop.

It happened after I tried to install a standalone IE7 along with my IE8. It didn't work, but I was able to uninstall 7 and reinstall 8, but this is the lone issue that remains.

I have tried the Club's awesome association fixers and the webdoctab.reg file, but neither worked.

If any of the resident geniuses could help, I would be greatly appreciative.

LeeW is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by carsonic View Post
    When I click on any URL shortcut in IE8, nothing happens. And when I check on their Properties > Details, no URL displays, and I can't interact with any of the fields (URL, Rating, Description, Notes).

This also happens with URLs that I drag to the desktop.

It happened after I tried to install a standalone IE7 along with my IE8. It didn't work, but I was able to uninstall 7 and reinstall 8, but this is the lone issue that remains.

I have tried the Club's awesome association fixers and the webdoctab.reg file, but neither worked.

If any of the resident geniuses could help, I would be greatly appreciative.

Navigate to Start Menu\Control Panel\Default Programs
    Select Associate a file type or protocol with a program
    Scroll down the list till you see .url, click Change Program at top right and select Internet Browser

Hope this helps
    Lee

Thanks Lee. I tried that, but it didn't change anything. I think I've fouled something up in the registry.

Dude111 is offline Windows Enthusiast

Have you tried a system restore? (Might be the only way )

rkonit is offline Gold Member

Download the file: FixURL.zip
    Extract and patch the registry fix... It may get rid of your problem.

Thanks, R.K. I tried that, but (as with all the various patches/fixes I've tried) I get a "Cannot import... Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes" message - even when I run them in safe mode. I wish I could figure out what that was all about.

And Dude111 - it may come down to that, but I'm going to try everything else first. (I learn a lot that way )

Dude111 is offline Windows Enthusiast

Yes i understand you wanting to learn (Its better sometimes learning than taking the easy way out)

Good luck!