dazz is offline New Member

Default how to access downloads in firefox?

Hi All,
    I have windows home basic, firefox,, When i click on tools on the browser page, then click on downloads, they come up, but i can't open some of them, any ideas why. By the way you are dealing with a idiot on a pc, so go easy please.

FraserBell is offline Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by dazz View Post
    Hi All,
    I have windows home basic, firefox,, When i click on tools on the browser page, then click on downloads, they come up, but i can't open some of them, any ideas why. By the way you are dealing with a idiot on a pc, so go easy please.
    We need additional info before we can give you a definitive answer.

Look at the list. You should see extensions at the end of the file name, such as .zip, .exe, .msi, .jpeg, .wav, etc.

Now, give us a sample list of which of these files you can open, and which you cannot.

Also, if you right-click on one of the items in the download list, you should get a menu that gives you "Open", "Open Containing Folder", etc.

If you don't get this menu, your file probably didn't actually download, but was blocked by your Internet settings. (If this is the case, let me know & I will give you instructions how to solve this issue.)

But, if you do get this menu, choose "Open Containing Folder". The file will probably be highlighted in this folder.

Right-click the file and choose "Properties" at the bottom of the menu. On the properties dialogue box that pops up, at the bottom, you might see a message similar to the following:

Security:
    This file came from another
    computer and might be blocked to
    help protect this computer.

To the right of it will be a button to "Unblock". If you are confident the file is safe, click this "Unblock" button and click "Apply". Close the dialogue box and try again to open the file.

Beyond this, we need to know what kind of files you can open and what kind you cannot.

But, please do let us know what the solution was if you solve your problem.

-Gerry
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Calgary AB Canada