h0rnytoad1 is offline Beginner

Default start menu shortcuts don't work anymore?

hi, ok so i'm looking through my start menu -> all programs. i see some executables without their usual icons, just blank, and when i click them nothing happens.

the executable or file doesn't launch.

So i right-click them => properties, and there is no path like usual to the executable !!

2 tabs are missing: "shortcut" and "compatibility"

and normally they are there for these executables.

Also my MS lifecam's icon is missing (and some other progs icons too), it points to some icon file in the "%systemroot%\installer\{xxx-numbers-yyy}\shortcutdx_morenumbers.exe" but it can't find it.

a bunch of programs and other shortcuts like help files too

what is going on ?

Elmer B. is offline Windows Enthusiast

Have you physically looked for (your example) %systemroot%\installer\{xxx-numbers-yyy}\shortcutdx_morenumbers.exe?

Some "cleaners" have the (unintentional?) ability to over enthusiastically wipe out your installers folders contents. Do any of the other "blank icons" point to the installers folder?

That said, even though the icon is missing they should still have their target paths.

yunno there was a new release of ccleaner v2.35.1223 just last week , i dint notice before, but maybe it hapenned then.

is your installer folder full of things? mine only have 10 items: 4 folders and 4 msi files, a $PatchCache$ and wix{CCA1EEA3-555E-4D05-AC46-4B49C6C5D887}.SchedServiceConfig.rmi

should it have more?
    Last edited by h0rnytoad1; 9th September 2010 at 01:56.

I've got 35 folders and 62 .msi files. It's all down to what software you have installed and how you've installed it. If I have the choice I usually pick the .msi install over the .exe install. No particular reason for that, well maybe it's because you may get a repair option if you install with .msi files.

B.T.W. I've never had any problems with CCleaner and my Installer folder, maybe I've just never noticed!!
    Last edited by Elmer B.; 8th September 2010 at 23:05.

thanks elmer

well something has deleted the msi and folders in that installer folder, i have more programs than just 4 installed, but i have no idea what if not ccleaner, its the only thing i use.

The only things I can suggest are:

System Restore? Although as its name implies, it is more system.

Go to the Add/Remove Programs (or whatever it is called in Vista!) in the Control Panel, click on one of your "missing icon" programs and see if it offers a repair option.

Re-install the Programs over your existing installs.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

You may also try this registry fix for .lnk shortcut file extensions http://www.winhelponline.com/fileasso/lnkfix_vista.zip from File association fixes for Windows Vista