Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    dalchina is offline New Member

Default Upgrade has been disabled. Your Windows configuration cannot be updated

Hi, Do you know what exactly can cause this exact message when attempting an in-place upgrade? I've found hardly a reference to it.. there can be many different causes identified in the 2nd sentence.

The log files I've inspected contain nothing useful, alas.

Detail:

I have an almost perfectly functioning Vista HP 32 bit system, up to date.

To solve a minor problem a 3rd tier MS escalation engineer recommended and in-place upgrade, which failed as in the title.

An obscure XP related document suggests this is to do with changed paths, e.g. 'My Documents' etc etc relocated to a different partition.

Any pointers welcome, as I can't find relevant MS documentation on this.

Thanks! dalchina.

Capt.Jack is offline Moderator

Hello Dalchina,

I'm a bit confused rite now. As if now you have Vista. And are you trying to upgrade to Windows 7 ? Or your trying to upgrade from XP again. Please explain.

- Captain

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Hi HappyAndyK, Capt.Jack..

Ok, bit more detail.. should have said more..

I'm trying to do an in-place upgrade repair on my Vista Home Premium 32 bit (preinstalled on an HP laptop). That is fully current with latest hotfixes.

I'm using a full Vista DVD with SP2.

support.microsoft.com/kb/947240 is so far the best clue I've got to interpreting the second part of the error message, which is very rarely listed (Google search). And yes, that's about XP, not Vista. Hmm.

Sure, there are several other docs that list messages related to a Vista in-place upgrade repair failing, but the lists don't include
    "Your Windows configuration cannot be updated"

I'm trying to determine what I need to do to allow the upgrade to proceed. My suspicion is that some system paths to user data (E.g. My Documents, Desktop etc) need to be changed back to default, instead of being on another partition. (With XP in-place reinstall, that wasn't a problem).

Hope that is clearer..

Clearly this probably precludes a Vista -Win7 upgrade too, were I to wish to do that.

Capt.Jack is offline Moderator

Hello,

I guess a clean install will fix it. I know it's a upgrade disk. Try this article to work around this Clean Install From Upgrade Vista - Vista Forums

Hope this helps,
    Captain

Hi,
    I've just been told the problem is probably that I'm trying to do an in-place repair of my OEM pre-installed Vista with a full retail disk (both SP2), & MS does not allow this.

Hmm, I've not seen that formally stated... but that would mean no-one with preinstalled OEM Vista can 'repair' it. Maybe an upgrade to Ultimate or Win 7 would be the only option.

That came as rather a shock...
    ==========================
    I'm really trying first to understand what's going on here- yes, sure, clean install is the ultimate sledgehammer... but it would take a very long time - non trivial in my case from various experiences with XP & earlier, so definitely not worth it for the 3 minor issues that are irrelevant to normal operation.
    (Can't reinstate DEP for regsvr32.exe; WEI won't update; and bad handling by MS update after using Firefox (registry string related to browser identity is responsible here).

Corrine is offline Gold Member

Hi, dalchina.

The first suggestion I have is to attempt a System Restore to time prior to the update that caused the problem. If that is unsuccessful, to determine whether the issues that you are experiencing are caused by one or more system files that are used by Windows, run the System File Checker tool. The System File Checker tool scans system files and replaces incorrect versions of the system files by using the correct versions.

To run the System File Checker tool, follow these steps:
    • Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
    • Right-click cmd in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator.
    • If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue
    • At the command prompt, type the following line, and then press ENTER:
      sfc /scannow (note the space before the backslash)
    • When the scan is complete, test to see whether the issue that you are experiencing is resolved.

Beyond that, the help documents from HP may be helpful: Recover Windows Vista Operating System Using HP Recovery HP Pavilion Notebook PCs.

Thanks Corinne.. It really is the in-place upgrade repair I'm interested in, for now and for the future.. discovering it simply doesn't work.

Why? With a 3rd tier MS escalation engineer I've already followed the 'normal' recovery procedures like chkdsk, SFC /Scannow, SUR check, but nothing touches the 3 odd problems I have. (WEI disabled, 8007002 when routed to MS update (e.g. oddly enough via Vista Problem Reports and Solutions - yes, MS Update v6, not Windows Update - a hangover?) when a particular Firefox registry entry is present, and an issue with regsvr32.exe and DEP).

She recommended either in-place upgrade or reinstall. The problems are so minor the latter isn't worth the massive effort (from previous experiences with XP and earlier).

But to discover the former doesn't work, leaves me worried..

Is it really true you can't do an in-place upgrade repair on an OEM pre-installed Vista (Home Premium) - I'm in the UK, so MS's policy is 'no, you don't get a Windows disk yah boo' - which anyway would need to be slipstreamed with SP2 to have a chance.

The odd thing is the message I get doesn't seem publicly documented. (Your Windows configuration cannot be upgraded).

Corrine is offline Gold Member

Hi, dalchina.

Yes, it is true that you cannot do an in-place upgrade repair on an OEM install. That is why I provided the link to the HP recovery information.

It does not seem likely that a Firefox registry entry would be causing the problems you mentioned. That said, have you tried Firefox in Safe Mode? Just click Start and type Firefox. Select the Safe Mode option and see if you still have problems.

Has your computer recently been infected? Do you have ZoneAlarm installed? What security programs are installed?

Hi Corrine, Thanks for confirming that. A sad and unexpected loss of a repair route for millions of unsuspecting cutomers buying new PCs. I guess that leaves a Windows upgrade as the equivalent repair route...

Regarding the registry entry:
    If I go to
    update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en]Microsoft Update
    with this registry entry present:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent\Post Platform]
    "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1) "=""

I get error 8007002.
    On my PC it is 100% reproducible.

Removing the entry removes the problem, and I get the page displayed advising me to go to windows update instead.

(MS Update should be obsolete for Vista users, but Vista Problems Reports and Solutions and Office 2003 update, still route me there).

Maybe it needs some other condition present too, as someone else could not reproduce that. I have Firefox installed, so maybe something else about also having accessed the site via Firefox needs to be true.

But if it were a general issue, I would have thought there'd be more discussion about it in forums. So I'm puzzled...

I've not had any known virus infections.. any scans come up pretty clean.. 3 or 4 confirmed false positives on commercial program files. I use Online Armor ++, Avira free.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last