patme is offline New Member

Default Laptop running great, need to back up-restore settings.

Packard Bell Laptop with Vista Home Basics pre-loaded with SP2 installed.

This is not my laptop.

I have now got the above lap top running sweet, still a little more tweeking to do.

This laptop has a built in PB recovery back up that in the event of a disaster will return the laptop to how it was when first purchased.

This will include all the crapware, free trials, Norton and so on, I have got rid of all of this for now.

I need a freeware program/method that will allow me or others to put the the laptop to the state I have it now in, something that will back up all the settings, service pack down loads, tweaks etc.

How is the best way to achieve the above, it has to be a relatively simple process and restore.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

This is the easiest - see my video tutorial: Imaging with free Macrium - Windows 7 Forums Works in XP, Vista and Win7.

Thank you for the above replies.

I'm not sure it this is important information, the existing laptop HDD is small, 120g.

There is nothing installed on the HDD except for the OS, SP2, tweaks and settings and some existing programs, I have deliberately deleated the rest to keep the HDD as unclutered as possible.

I would like the option to back up and restore exactly as is now to a USB stick if possible, I do have the option to burn to DVDs if I have to, how many or what size stick would I need?

The lap top running as is has used 40GBs of HDD space

It's not just files I want to back up, it an exact copy of how things are now.

I will look at EASEUS, thank you Happy.

WHS could you provide me with a link? thanks.

whs

In my above post this is a link. In the tutorial you find everything.

You can image to DVD or USB. Figure that you need between 20 to 25GBs of space for your 40GB of data. ( I do though recommend an external disk because you should image the system and data periodically. Then you can go back to a later version and do not have to always start at the very beginning ). You can compress higher, but I would not recommend that. You also have to burn a recovery CD with the little Linux program to get the recovery started. But you will see that in the tutorial - here it is again: Imaging with free Macrium - Windows 7 Forums

PS. We should ask Anand to underline the links. They are indeed very hard to see. It's like an Easter egg hunt to find them.

Thank you whs.

I'm use to links showing a different colour, I didn't check and run my mouse over yours, I agree underlining would be a good option.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    PS. We should ask Anand to underline the links. They are indeed very hard to see. It's like an Easter egg hunt to find them.
    I agree. After the new theme, the links colors are almost the same. Will tell r.k.

whs

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    I agree. After the new theme, the links colors are almost the same. Will tell r.k.
    Thanks Anand.

alexamarky is offline New Member

You can compress high, but I would not recommend. You must be restored started.There is in addition to the hard disk of the operating system, SP2 installs a small program for Linux recovery CD burning, adjust and set-up and some of the existing plan, I deliberately deleated the rest remain hard unclutered as possible.