Ccb588 is offline New Member

Default Fixing pre-Vista boot Acronis recovery

Greetings all,
    I hope this isn't too techy for you, but here's my query. I just rebuilt a Compaq Presario F500 laptop which when booting shows an F11 option to run Acronis Recovery before booting Vista Home Basic. I use Logicube's Supersonix drive cloner and with it cloned the nice and clean WD 100 GB HDD with Vista to a Mushkin Chronos 120GB SSD. Supersonix does a nice job copying the Source drive while maintaining partition size of the Target drive (from 100 to 120). The SSD now has Vista and all the data and has a working MBR and starts fine. The point after POST when Acronis should offer itself, however, shows MBR error 3, and does not present itself. Following this error Vista's MBR works fine and loads Vista OS. Anyone have a clue how to re-introduce the pre-Vista boot Acronis Recovery option? I have flashed to the most current bios, F.20 3/24/10, which doesn't appear to have a section to choose or identify this pre-OS boot option. It would be good to use this Recovery option now that the SSD has enough space for an image.

Thanks
    Craig

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Hmm, that is kind of a weird way of imaging. Why would you want to image the SSD to the SSD. What if the SSD dies. And anyhow, the 20GBs you have left on the SSD may not be enough to hold the image - which, of course, depends on how much data you have in C.

Ccb588 is offline New Member

WHS,
    Good point. The total empty space on the new SSD appears great enough to hold an image since the OS and data is only 35GB. I agree to the limited value of imaging to the same drive, but isn't this the same approach as a Windows Recovery on a single HD or SSD with a more "clean-install" type fix option? I am actually more interested in learning how one implements pre-OS boot program activity. This laptop is built for fun & experimentation. Do you know if the Acronis program may install it's program to activate in btwn post and OS mbr activity: and if so is this done within protected windows mode?
    Thanks