Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    anon_priv is offline Windows Enthusiast

Default Making a system image

Ref. Vista Home Premium, 32 bit, Service Pack 2.

In case of a disaste, I think I should create an image. I am attracted to the image rather that a clone because it is so much smaller. I intend to backup to a DVD.

I have read that Macrium Reflect Free is a good freeware package. But I wonder why users don't use Backup in Vista?

If I experinced a disaster, how could I run the image, which I believe is like large zip file?

How can I calculate how many DVD's I will need (I'd like to use one - for convenience)?

What files should I backup, bearing in mind that the point is to get a system back that runs?

Thanks

A

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

1. Macrium is indeed an excellent tool for images - and it is free. Here is a tutorial I made which may help you to get started.

Imaging with free Macrium - Windows 7 Help Forums

2. Windows imaging is a disaster. Don't even try to use it.

3. To run the image (recover from an image), you need a Macrium WinPE recovery disk. Download the .iso from my Skydrive and burn it to CD (saves you 2 hours of work).

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=475a0...A6D4035%211812

3. The image file is not a .zip but a VHD (virtual disk file).

4. DVDs are no good for images (far too small). You need an external disk and I recommend at least a 250GB size. Images can be 20, 30, 40+ Gigabytes and a DVD holds only 4.7GB. Besides the volume problem there is a definite operational problem.

5. With an image you backup a whole partition - typically the C partition. There is nothing to select or exclude.
    Last edited by whs; 8th August 2013 at 21:25.

mopar is offline New Member

With Macrium you can make your own boot disk right from Macrium it self and if needed you can recover your image real easy. I have done this a couple of times.

With the paid version of Macrium (real cheap) you can also make backups of your pictures, music, banking etc.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Check this forum post here: http://forum.thewindowsclub.com/wind...e-windows.html maybe it will help you.

Thanks to all for responding.

I have a Dell Vista DVD and have backed up my data.

Do I need to make any images?

Thanks

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Even though I have an installation DVD and backup data often, I prefer to make system images occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    Even though I have an installation DVD and backup data often, I prefer to make system images occasionally.
    If you have the OS on DVD and backup your data why do you need to make an image?

mopar is offline New Member

With the OS on a Cd you will need to re-install all the updates and any software you have installed. An Image will restore all the updates and any software you have installed up to your last image. No need to spend several hours re-installing all of this. Images should be done once a month or sooner if you make important changes.

Quote Originally Posted by mopar View Post
    With the OS on a Cd you will need to re-install all the updates and any software you have installed. An Image will restore all the updates and any software you have installed up to your last image. No need to spend several hours re-installing all of this. Images should be done once a month or sooner if you make important changes.
    Thanks for responding.

The only disadvantage that I can see is the ammount of space needed. To make an image I assume that i would need another hard disk.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Yes you need an external disk for images - preferably at least 250 to 500GB large. But there is great advantages to images. If your system gets bricked you can restore it in 20 to 30 minutes.

Last time I reinstalled a Vista system it took me 3 days to get all the OS updates and to reinstall all my programs and thier updates. Plus I had to redo all my settings.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last