Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Richie1

Thread: Is it 'Game Over' for Vaio/Windows?

Richie1 is offline New Member

Angry Is it 'Game Over' for Vaio/Windows?

Hi, I'm a new member and I would appreciate any advice on the following - bearing in mind that I am probably on the very lower end of being an intermediate user…
    April 2010 I purchased a so-called top end Vaio laptop at a ridiculous high price, thinking that at least this would be latest technology (hard & software) amortized over many years of use. Yeah right - doom to the unschooled in TECH!!

It's been nothing but a constant nightmare with problem after problem… but nothing constant?...inc. slow-downs, freezes, constant error messages and …'not responding' windows, white screens, black screens, sometimes blue, other non-working elements etc., etc.
    This was then compounded by virus attacks after which I had a Tech remove everything and re-installed clean from the Recovery disks - including I'm afraid, the humungous amount of Sony/Vaio Crapware!!. That worked well for a while and then gradually went back to the same. The only thing that has kept me going is System Mechanic Pro which has helped a lot but now seems to be getting overwhelmed…
    I have CCleaner which I use often and AD Aware Pro antivirus which is always on and updated daily.
    MS is on Auto Updates and as far as I know, all software is up to date…

Nothing is constant? Right now everything is now so slow its unusable. If I reboot (again) it can speed up considerably and work fine… for a while…sometimes??
    Running System Mechanic usually speeds everything up - but maybe for a few hours/a day/ a few days.

Also, the laptop gets very hot - not just very warm - which I reported to Sony who checked the laptop physically and said it was 'normal'??
    I use (canned) compressed air to keep the machine clean - which sometimes helps for a while and sometimes does nothing.

I now use this laptop with great difficulty as a 'second' machine - specifically using MS Office 2007- for my own business and home. Now Outlook wont open at all - error message = cannot find .pst file…"…

One BIG issue is that I don’t want to lose MS OFFICE!!!!
    The laptop came with MS OFFICE Pro - as a paid extra, pre-loaded but I do not have a key for this - it might be on the set of Recovery Disks that I bought as extra??
    My question is -
    - Should I reformat the H/D fully and reload Vista Ultimate again from the Recovery disks - or
    - Should I UPGRADE Vista to Windows 7 or 8?
    - Should I BUY a new full version Windows 7 or 8 (then what about Office - do I lose it & have to pay again?)
    I checked on the MS site and states that the equipment will take Windows 7. Don’t know about W 8 though.
    - Should I just dump the whole bad BAD deal and look for an alternative?

SPECS:
    Sony Vaio VGN-Z590U (13") (April 2010) (+_$4000 with extras - inc. MS Office Pro/extra 2GB ram/larger H/D/etc., etc -(Big sigh, I know...idiots are born every day
    Memory: 4GB
    H/D 300GB (169GB free)
    Intel Core 2 Duo CPU P9500@2.35GHz
    NVIDIA GEForce 9300M GS
    Windows Vista Ultimate (Service Pack 2)
    Windows Office Pro 2007

Would much appreciate some sound advice!
    Thanks,
    Ritchie1

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Its not the fault or the machine or the operating system. The reason for this, usually are the uninvited guests which arrive along with Windows OEM installations. These are called as Crapware or Craplets. Publishers for such trial software pay the hardware companies to push them onto new machines, in the hope that that the purchaser will at some point decide to buy them.

It is these craplets that cause freezes and crashes.

You could go for a fresh clean install of Windows using an installation disk (and not the recovery disk or system image) and use your OEM key or you could open Control Panel and remove the trialware, toolbars and other software that you do not need. You could also use a Free Crapware Removal Software to help you with crapware removal.

I know this is a problem which plagues most new Windows laptop buyers, and although Microsoft keeps saying that its the decision of the OEM, Microsoft really needs to do something about this as it ultimately ends up giving a bad name to Windows.

Upgrading your Windows Vista to Windows 8 or Windows 7 will definitely help, and its an option I recommend you consider.

Thanks very much for the reply - I do appreciate it!!
    Three questions...
    - I have read that its better to do a new install for Windows 7 - as an upgrade from Vista to 7 has many problems afterwards. Not being much in the tech department, this worries me.
    - However, if I do a new install, how do I keep MS Office - can I get it from the VISTA OEM key that I have on the laptop?
    - Is there anything I can do about the Vaio sometimes getting so hot? I tried to open it to clean it (carefully using compressed air and soft cloths) but didn't get past the basic covers as I didn't want to damage anything or not be able to put it all back again.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Use a Software Key Finder to find out and back up all your OS and software license keys.

Back up your data to an external drive. You may simply copy your Documents folder, photos, etc to an external drive and restore them once you have installed the new OS.

Yes - I would recommend that you go in for a fresh install of Windows 7 or Windows 8. Once you have installed the new OS, you can install MS Office and all your other software and used the license keys which you have found and backed up.

Getting the machine cleaned properly from some qualified technician might be a good idea and it should help prevent heating.

Thanks for the information!
    I have found the keys and will do a clean install of Windows 7 Pro 32 bit, after I have had the machine cleaned.
    Thanks so much for the help - much appreciated!!
    HappyAndyK likes this.