anon_priv is offline Windows Enthusiast

Default Macrovision ActiveX Control & Word 2 uninstallation questions

Hi,

My PSI tells me that Macrovision Update Service ActiveX Control 3.x has been discontinued and therefore security updates will no longer be provided. I am advised to uninstall the programme,. However. I can't find it!

Two questions:

I assume that this programme is not vital and can be uninstalled?
    Where is it (I am using Firefox for normal browsing, but have IE 9 on disk as well.)?

I also have Word 2 on my machine and PSI advises an update. I don't want to pay for software. so I was thinking of uninstalling Word 2 and installing Kingsoft Office (free).

I havethe Works disks that contain Word 2, so I assume that I could always re-install it if necessary. Could I re-install Word 2 alone from these disks, or would I need to install the whole Works suite?

Thanks

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Default Remove or Uninstall Macrovision Update Service ActiveX Control 3.x

Check you IE browser plugins, addons, extension and see if you are able to identify this ActiveX Control and remove it from there. You may see it under All Addons. If not, you could disable Active X Controls temporarily, till a solution is found.

You may also empty the contents of the C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files folder. Mybe you will see a isusweb.dll file. You may safely empty the contents of this folder. I do it occasionally too.

anon_priv is offline Windows Enthusiast

I could not find the control in IE.

I have four files in DPF, three are Java Runtime Environment, the fourth is Shockwave Active X Control.

I can't delete the files (even as admin), although it looks like I can delete the DPF folder.

The file isusweb.dll is identified as out of date by PSI, but I could not see the file in DPF (all hidden files should be visible).

Advice please

Ps. I am thinking of replacing Word2 (out of date) with Kingsoft Office. How do I uninstall Word2 (not listed in Programs & Features)? If for any reason I decide to re-install Word will I be able to do this separately from MS Works - I have all disks (Word is on the Works first disk)?
    Last edited by anon_priv; 15th March 2014 at 13:49.