anon_priv is offline Windows Enthusiast

Default BSOD BCCode: 77 when scanning with Avira

I was scanning with Avira and the pc re-started after a BSOD screen. This happened twice when scanning with Avira. Windows recovered.

I noted the following message:

Product
    Windows

Problem
    Shut down unexpectedly

Date
    22/05/2014 23:22

Status
    Not Reported

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 2057

Files that help describe the problem
    Mini052214-01.dmp
    sysdata.xml
    Version.txt

Extra information about the problem
    BCCode: 77
    BCP1: 00000001
    BCP2: 00000000
    BCP3: 00000000
    BCP4: 80C568C0
    OS Version: 6_0_6002
    Service Pack: 2_0
    Product: 768_1

Advice please

jaylach is offline Windows Enthusiast

I cannot say that I am really familiar with this error code but from what I've found it MAY either a thermal or RAM issue. If you have a retail or OEM actual Vista install disk you might want to run the memory diagnostics from that install disk, use the install disk to boot the system. If you are restricted to a recovery partition or restore disks you could try Memtest86 from memtest86.com. You will use this to create a bootable CD that will do the testing. Some would say that Memtest86 is better than the testing from an install disk and I can't say that I would disagree.

Quick and dirty test of the memory, if you have more than one stick, would be to run with only one stick and see if the error happens. If it happens with one stick and not others you have a bad one.

It appears that this could also be a thermal issue but I doubt it as, if thermal, it should happen at other times. On the other hand, if thermal related to the hard drive, it is still possible as a scan will make the drive work constantly.

As a note! As I stated I am not familiar with this exact error code. While what I have suggested is valid, and can cause no harm, listen to other input over mine. I have backed off from keeping current so others may have more direct solutions.
    Last edited by jaylach; 23rd May 2014 at 07:07.