anon_priv is offline Windows Enthusiast

Default Error code 0F00.0232, Cannot find file specified 0x80070002. Hard Disk problem

I think I have a hard drive problem

Error code 0F00.0232

and Cannot find file specified 0x80070002,

I tried using chkdsk under Vista but the pc just restarts.

I tried to use the Dell Vista Disk, but got a write protected message when using the command prompt.

I also noticed an error which mentioned registry corruption (from my memory when using startup repair).

At present, I am accessing the Internet via a pendrive running UBUNTU 12.04.2 LTS.

Can anyone tell me how to fix the drive and possibly the registry either from Vista (it will not boot), or from Ubuntu.

Thanks

UPDATE

I managed to use ckdsk from the Vista CD (I was using the wrong drive).

After competing the repairs (correcting index files). There were some bad sectors.

On re-starting the system would not boot.

I tried system restore, but without success (error: 0x80070002).

From the log, I have a corrrupt registry.

Question:

Can I replace the registry either using the Vista CD, or from the backup drive?

Thanks

PS can disk problems be caused by restating the pc before it closes down properly?

jaylach is offline Windows Enthusiast

As to restoring the drive from a backup exactly what kind of backup? If it is a system image yes you can but not from just the file backup.

Have you tried starting the system in Safe Mode?

Can't remember if Vista has this startup option but if there try starting with the last known good configuration.

Yes, an improper shutdown can harm a drive.

First thing that I would do is to backup any and all data files. I take it that you are running Ubuntu on the system with the bad drive. Use Ubuntu to move all data , documents, pictures, etc. to optical media or a flash drive if possible.

Once the data is safe the quickest and easiest fix would be to just do a clean install of Vista formatting the drive. Myself, with the price of a decent sized drive, I would not trust the old drive and would buy another. One factor is that you can then feel more secure about the drive. Another factor is that you then still have the problem drive intact and it can be slaved to the system as a second drive to possibly hold image backups once it has proven to still be reliable.

Not sure about Vista but I believe that earlier versions of Windows had a method to restore copies of the registry, I believe through the repair console. Sorry but it has been too long and I have zero recollection of the procedure.

Sorry that I can't be more help but Vista was a long time ago for me as I was running Win 7 quite a while before it even hit the shelves due to being a beta tester.

Remember that if you go with a format and re-install of Vista you will have to re-install all software and hardware drivers.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Can you boot from the Windows Recovery disk? If so do that and Run system file checker and/or Repair Windows. Also run chkdsk /r and see if it helps.

No, you cannot replace the registry using the CD.

Yes, disk problems can appear if PC is abruptly shut down.

Perhaps something here can help or guide you:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/filecab/a...-problems.aspx
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979281/en-us

Thanks for responding.

This what I have been trying

UPDATE:

I copied the five important registry files from regbackup to config, re-booted, but the system still did not boot.

On running repair, I noted the error message 'corrupt registry'.

Is there a further step to repair the registry?

For example, I have CCleaner on the hard drive. Vista is not running, but could I run this programme from the Dell Vista CD?

Could I use the command prompt to locate CCleaner and then type the execution file? Would it run?

Can I use UBUNTU to somehow repair the registry?

Note: I am being guided by the messages received, and assume that they are reporting correctly.

Thanks

Ps I have not given up - yet

Quote Originally Posted by jaylach View Post
    As to restoring the drive from a backup exactly what kind of backup? If it is a system image yes you can but not from just the file backup.

I only have the DELL Vista CD

Have you tried starting the system in Safe Mode?

I did try this at one stage - no luck

Can't remember if Vista has this startup option but if there try starting with the last known good configuration.

Tried the safe points - no luck

Yes, an improper shutdown can harm a drive.

I though so

First thing that I would do is to backup any and all data files. I take it that you are running Ubuntu on the system with the bad drive. Use Ubuntu to move all data , documents, pictures, etc. to optical media or a flash drive if possible.

I can back up at any time. I can gain access through the UBUNTU pendrive

Once the data is safe the quickest and easiest fix would be to just do a clean install of Vista formatting the drive. Myself, with the price of a decent sized drive, I would not trust the old drive and would buy another. One factor is that you can then feel more secure about the drive. Another factor is that you then still have the problem drive intact and it can be slaved to the system as a second drive to possibly hold image backups once it has proven to still be reliable.

Would a re-install to the same HD avoid any problem sectors

Not sure about Vista but I believe that earlier versions of Windows had a method to restore copies of the registry, I believe through the repair console. Sorry but it has been too long and I have zero recollection of the procedure.

I copied to reg files from their backup to config - no luck

Sorry that I can't be more help but Vista was a long time ago for me as I was running Win 7 quite a while before it even hit the shelves due to being a beta tester.

I am greatful that you have responded.

Remember that if you go with a format and re-install of Vista you will have to re-install all software and hardware drivers.
    Best wishes

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    Can you boot from the Windows Recovery disk? If so do that and Run system file checker and/or Repair Windows. Also run chkdsk /r and see if it helps.

I only have the Dell Vista disk

I see what you mean

Thought so

http://blogs.technet.com/b/filecab/a...-problems.aspx
    Error code 0x8100002F and or error code 0x80070002 when you back up files in Windows 7
    Best wishes

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post

Common causes and solutions to Backup, System Restore, and Complete PC Backup problems - The Storage Team at Microsoft - File Cabinet Blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs
    Error code 0x8100002F and or error code 0x80070002 when you back up files in Windows 7
    I ran the Dell Vista disk and used the command prompt to move to the c drive..

I ran sfc /scannow and got the following message:
    'Windows Resource Protection Could Not perform The Required Operation'

Advice please.
    Last edited by anon_priv; 19th July 2014 at 17:31.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator