aldagog is offline New Member

Default Problem Networking Windows Vista to Windows 7 computer

I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium on a 64 bit HP Laptop with 4GB RAM. I'm networked with several other computers. When I try to get to the

desktop on my Windows 7 machine from Vista, the Network displays the Windows 7 desktop for an instant and then reverts to the Windows Vista desktop. The problem is new. i've done virus and malware scans.

The procedure I'm using:
    I double-click the Network icon on the Vista desktop. In the window that opens I click on my windows 7 icon, enter the appropriate login and password, and then click the desktop icon to open the Windows 7 desktop in order to transfer files, etc. The Windows 7 desktop opens for an instant and then all the open windows disappear and the Vista desktop reopens. If I use the same process to access my Windows 8 desktop it functions normally and I can see and transfer files.

This problem just started occurring. Any ideas on what's causing the problem and how to fix it?

jaylach is offline Windows Enthusiast

Are you actually networking or really using Remote Access? When you say that the win 7 desktop comes up it sounds more like remote access.

aldagog is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by jaylach View Post
    Are you actually networking or really using Remote Access? When you say that the win 7 desktop comes up it sounds more like remote access.
    Everything is done through my LAN. "Sharing" is enabled in the directories i want to access on the Win 7 machine. I'm assuming that by "Remote Access" you mean from outside my local system although I thought both were essentially the same except for data speeds.

jaylach is offline Windows Enthusiast

I use the term 'Remote Access' in any situation where you are going to see the actual desktop from one system on another. Yes, I guess that it could be considered a form of networking but is not, in my opinion, a straight forward network. When I think network the other system's desktop is not involved. You would go to My Computer or Windows Explorer and access the other system via 'Network' link on the left of the window. With Remote Access you are actually controlling one system from another whether it be at another location using the internet or through a local LAN. The troubleshooting methods may be quite different between the two.

In either case I don't know how much help I will be able to give as I am in no way a networking guru. At this point I'm just trying to get exactly what you are doing.