Thread: Read it Later - A Firefox Extension

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Thumbs up Read it Later - A Firefox Extension

This Firefox extension Read It Later allows you to save pages of interest to read later. It eliminates cluttering of bookmarks with sites that are merely of a one-time interest. A commenter summed it up very well: “It’s a ’staging area’ for bookmarks.”

Why this Helps

The Old Way:

You can log the URLs by emailing yourself or writing them in a text file. This is cumbersome and hard to move through or find.
    Bookmark the site in a special tag or folder of ‘To-Read-Later’. This works well for keeping your links in a single source, but it is a pain to go in and remove or re-categorize each page after you read it. Also, if you use an online bookmarking service, it means you’ll have to login in and go through a few clicks before getting to your list.
    The above methods are honestly, just workarounds to what should be a simple task. The Read it Later extension is meant to provide an easier solution.

The New Way:

When you come across something you want to read later, simply click the ‘Read Later’ button and the page is instantly inserted into your reading list.
    Then when you have some free time, just click ‘Reading List’ and it’ll pull up something for you to read.
    When you are finished, click Mark it As Read and it will be removed from your list.
    If you found what you read to be worth bookmarking, you can use the dropdown under Mark it As Read to add it to your Firefox bookmarks or any online bookmark service such as Del.icio.us.

iMav is offline Gold Member

I tried this plugin all it essentially does is creates a bookmarks folder. A friend recoed it but then after using a couple of times i went back to pinning the the articles I need to read to the Bookmark toolbar.

seti is offline Member

thanks Andy this is of great use to me as often I want to read a particular item when I am researching but not other things from the sites often I find my bookmarks get overload this will make things easier

skidmark is offline Windows Enthusiast

I really enjoy extensions like this that add to my productivity. I use a FF add-on similar to this called <a href="http://www.zotero.org/">Zotero</a> that is a great research tool for my schoolwork. Zotero can take snapshots of web pages files them in an organized manner and to my appreciation sorts the citation info for my reference pages and in-text citations.

iMav is offline Gold Member

^^ That looks like an interesting add-on.

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

Generally, I save the pages to my system so that I can read it offline as well. But this plugin sounds good. Will give a try.

rkonit is offline Gold Member

Opps one more plug-in...for FF
    FF extentions are playing playing vital role of FF features.

knightrider™ is offline Gold Member

Taboo plugin does the same...