Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giveaway Of The Day

pyu.agrawal is offline Senior Member

Thumbs up Giveaway Of The Day

Just came across this Giveaway Of The Day: The new initiative in the software distribution world! Every day they offer for FREE licensed software one would have to buy otherwise!

The initiative, Giveaway of the day, is open to its visitors and ready to present hot software titles and best software authors from all over the world free !!

Last edited by leofelix; 24th December 2009 at 04:40.

iMav is offline Gold Member

It's a rather old one, probably around 5 years to it's existence. They give OK software, nothing that great.

seti is offline Member

I had come across this ages ago and like imav says there is nothing reall special or of much interest here for anyone of use, but you may have a different opinion so take a look

edee is offline Windows Enthusiast

Smile Giveaway of the day

Me too , I've known about them for a while now , I would not take to trusting them too much though , although they say their software is virus and spyware free I have gotten a few nasties from their downloads .

In my opinion , if a site has to bundle free licensed software with their own installer then the downloader needs to beware .

MrMBerman is offline Senior Member

The major catch here is that the software has to be installed within a 24hr window of being posted, there is no support and no free upgrades, also you can install just the once, so if you needed to say format your HDD you can not reinstall the program as the installation window would have expired. It's a gimmick, most of the programs are magazine cover disk give - a - ways and can be found for free without limitations online.

leofelix is offline Member

Another issue with software offered by giveawayoftheday is that setup files are different from the original ones (repackaged), often it's necessary to use a file called activate.exe included in the zipped archive they offer which is considered spyware by many security sotware house.
    The most of software they offer are converter or screensaver.
    I install only software which can be downloaded from the original software house server when giveaway offers a serial number to activate them like for example when they offered OnLine Armor 3.5 premium and a2 squared antimalware

dkszone is offline New Member

The main problem is that the software downloaded and installed from Giveaway of the Day is limited to one installation on a single system. I can't uninstall in one and install in other one.

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

BUMP
    It's a pretty old site. But I check that site every day for free goodies.

fredharvey is offline Beginner

Hi ... So more or less one should be cautions when getting softwares from them or are they trustwothy ? Because I just for the first time ever downloaded cd ripper software they had there a few days ago . I didn't like the fact it added another software with that download , it was software informer , which I uninstalled right O' way . After reading you guys posts I uninstalled the cd ripper too . I didn't really needed but thought why not if its free . So if you can't re-install or install this software else where ? Then I don't want it in the first place . Either make it free and its always free or none at all .
    Last edited by fredharvey; 24th December 2009 at 21:41.

StrayCat is offline Senior Member

@ fredharvey
    Sorry to contradict you, but Gotd has offered some really good software over the last years.
    About 'software informer',well.. you have a very clear option whether you want to install this or not... with a rather big tab... at the end of the installation.

@edee
    You can always submit the files(s) to virustotal.com if in doubt to get a second opinion.
    No nasties over here.

The easy way is to install a right click option to submit the files:
    http://forum.thewindowsclub.com/wind...-easy-way.html

Couldn't help adding:
    If you install all the giveaways you might need to increase the size of your MFT.
    LOL.
    Last edited by StrayCat; 3rd January 2010 at 19:48.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast