Thread: 'USB Safely Remove' v.4.1 for Free (valid Aug 19th-25th)

zen67 is offline Senior Member

Default 'USB Safely Remove' v.4.1 for Free (valid Aug 19th-25th)

Proceed to the page below, enter your full name and email, press the button "I want license" and you will get the license in a moment. The license will let you use version 4.1 of the program for lifetime.

License giveaway page: Get USB Safely Remove for free!
    'USB Safely Remove' is a USB and SATA external drive manager included by PCWorld magazine into "TOP 100 Best Products Of 2008". It solves a bunch of problems encountered by frequent USB and SATA users, for example:

Shows what processes prevent your device from being stopped
    Lets you reactivate your accidentally stopped hotplug device without reconnecting it physically
    Hides drives of empty card reader slots
    And many others, for details see:

USB Safely Remove - comfortable and reliable replacement for Safely Remove Hardware function

I checked this user-submitted item and it accurate. The download file installed clean (according to Avira Pro) on my XP test PC and the product appears to work as advertised. A couple of points worth noting:

1. You may want to uncheck the "Subscribe me on newsletter" (sic) link on the page where you give your details.

2. The site has a notice saying that it may take up to 24 hours to get a license. You can however install and use the product while waiting for the license.

All up, a pretty useful freebie.

Size: 3.4 MB

I've just send my request...

seti is offline Member

Personally I think this is one of those things that is doing something simple that is easily done without a tool. It is a very simple thing to safely remove, but I wonder how many people just take the USB out without doing so. For those who want such a tool thanks for providing this information, but for me, I'll give it a miss.

Quote Originally Posted by seti View Post
    Personally I think this is one of those things that is doing something simple that is easily done without a tool. It is a very simple thing to safely remove, but I wonder how many people just take the USB out without doing so. For those who want such a tool thanks for providing this information, but for me, I'll give it a miss.
    I doesn't use tools like this too, but in Italy we say "a caval donato non si guarda in bocca" -- maybe sound like " you shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth"..... so i submit.........

ciao

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Thanks, requested for one. Lets have a look at it

RoninV is offline New Member

I do like this feature, "Shows what processes prevent your device from being stopped." Will USB Safely Remove really give users something TaskMgr doesn't?

How many times have users tried to "correctly" remove their USB devices only to get the "device still in use" warning window. Task Manager-Applications tab doesn't show any usage, and Task Manager-Processes tab may leave you wondering which one. Doing a stop/restart of the Explorer processes usually allows the "safe" release of the USB device.

leofelix is offline Member

Thank you Zen67
    going to ask for my copy.
    By the way "a caval donato non si guarda in bocca" means "do not be critical of a gift"

... .........

Gotoma is offline Beginner

Thanks going to request one!

ha14 is offline Windows Enthusiast

cool, they already send 30 000 keys and more to come!

Galane is offline New Member

Drat. The giveaway is over.

What would be better is for Microsoft to just fix this annoying BUG in XP, Vista and Windows 7.

What *should happen* when the user wants to Safely Remove a device and Windows thinks something is still using it or that files are open, it should pop a window with a list.

It should have some way of bringing to the user's attention what programs are running that are accessing the removable device, if any really are. There should be a 'sanity check' so that if nothing really is running with a handle open on the device, Windows ought to obey the user and let the *bleep* go of it.

It should work like what happens if you have Explorer open and are viewing the contents of a CD or DVD then poke the eject button. The disc ejects and Explorer moves the highlight to somewhere else without any complaining!

The same goes for files and folders that *absolutely nothing* is accessing or has open, yet Windows won't let go of, requiring a utility like Unlocker to pry it loose. Sometimes Windows will latch onto a file even after rebooting and the only recourse is to use Unlocker's Delete function to tag it for deletion on boot. (I've even had cases where Windows would open handles on these files when booted with ERD Commander and stop them from being deleted.)