Thread: UpdateStar

ha14 is offline Windows Enthusiast

Default UpdateStar

Hi

Updatestar is a search engine for outdated softwares on our computer covering all types of softwares ranging from freewares to sharewares. UpdateStar is proposed in 2 versions such as the free and premium one which is at $29.95 for 1 pc as annual.

The Free Edition provides basic protection against outdated major versions of your software with limited features.

Whereas the Premium Edition delivers 20 times more updates, including all minor upgrades for your software setup and adds important features such as security advisory. Export and backup of the software setups, simplifies software management, supports 259,000 software programs, and provides secure and free downloads. With the Premium the administrator saves so much time searching for updates and prevents himself from missing important updates.

The interface of UpdateStar is well developped with easy browsing and all options are clearly presented thus making the use of this soft secure. Important since modifying windows softwares are the main feature as updates require. As logical Updatestar includes a much enhanced replacement for the well known "Add or Remove Programs" of windows plus a registry cleaner where you can access regedit and make a backup or hunting down for left over registries entities no longer required after uninstaling a soft. The idea behind it is to keep the pc running smoothly.

The update can be personalized with the use of filtering option where we can include or exclude a particular or a group softwares from the list.

An interesting feature found only in the premium version is the export-import option. The export feature is well developped in the premium version of updatestar. Thus we can create and export a complete snapshot of our current employed softwares setup for backup or for reinstalling reasons. The export feature helps us to maintain a backup copy of our favorite PC softwares setup and including othertype of important infos such as license information. Once re-imported, all program information will automatically be updated to the latest versions available by the UpdateStar database.

Here are some key features of "UpdateStar Premium Edition":

Delivers major version updates
    Secure and verified download only
    Protection against outdated software
    Enhances the "Add or Remove Programs" experience
    Allows for a personalization of updates
    Import complete software setups
    Export and backup your software setup
    Security recommendations for update priorization
    Delivers 20 times more updates and upgrades information
    Registry Cleaner included
    Language: Ukrainian, Swedish, Spanish, Slovak, Russian, Romanian, Portuguese, Polish, Japanese, Italian, Hungarian, German, French, English, Dutch, Czech, Chinesesimplified, Chinese

Requirements:

Intel Pentium II 400 MHz or equivalent
    internet connection for the trial key
    VGA
    Mouse
    keyboard
    Windows 2K / XP / 2003 / Vista

UpdateStar makes our computer experience more productive since as soon as a new version is available, UpdateStar will lets us know automatically, and propose a download of the updated version straight away!

The free version is nice to have arround ,and will give an enhanced idea of the premium version. Plus a special licence can be obtained in order to use the premium version for a certain periode of time.
    Request License Code - UpdateStar.com

Both versions can be downloaded from the bellow link:
    UpdateStar - Simplify your software life

I believe our site administrator HappyAndyK also advised updatestar and can be one of his favourites!
    http://forum.thewindowsclub.com/wind...e-up-date.html

Last edited by ha14; 7th September 2009 at 17:04.

seti is offline Member

I use Secunia Personal Security Inspector which does exactly the same job as you describe. It is free and easy to use and tells you when things need updating. It is the best and simplest, in humble opinion

Hi Seti
    I believe Secunia Personal Security Inspector is more for vulnerability of windows security and do not involves other sharewares, freewares. Possible SPSI includes Adobe, Apple Quick, Macromedia flash but not as UpdateStar database. Or I am wrong?

seti is offline Member

It does show every application that I have on my pc, which I have just checked. I have not done so before to be honest, because I've not thought about it much, so I can not answer you question that fully. It does do flash player etc, so from this I suppose that it will show everything.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

I once tried one of those "update helpers". I did not like it because it generated far more update activity than necessary - e.g. every time one of the language files of a program was updated, it ran that update. But I don't really care whether my Hungarian or Chinese language file is up-tp-date.
    Regarding Secunia you are right. It only alerts of updates relevant to security.

Hi
    This is true updates involving languages are not major updates, possible this can be configured to not promote updates of softs that undergone language modifications.

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

thanks for this, it is new thing for me.....

but as much updating is concerned, mostly all the softwares have facility to check updates at there own.....and almost all big software download rendering websites like cnet's download.com, fillehippo.com all provides a small app which checks whether the installed programs are up to date or not......i find those app much helpful....

and if you have intel boards then an updater tool is also available at there website which checks online whether the drivers installed are up to date or not....

and for windows and other Microsoft products and even for drivers.....Windows update works best for me