Thread: Empathy - password-protect any executable file

ha14 is offline Windows Enthusiast

Smile Empathy - password-protect any executable file

Hi

Empathy is a small, simple, easy-to-use but smart and reliable utility allowing you to password-protect any executable file.

How Empathy Works

1- Install and run Empathy.
    2- Select any application’s executable files that you want to protect.
    3- Enter and confirm your password (two times).
    4- I strongly suggest you choose the “Create a backup before processing” option to create a backup for the executable that you choose in (2). If the password-protecting process did not work as expected, you can rename the backup file to its original filename (e.g. file.bak to file.exe)
    5- Finally, click the “Protect” button to complete the process.

The next time anybody wants to run that application, Empathy will prompt a password form to be filled!

The only downside of Empathy is that it only allows you to key in a single character password. To get the full capability, you have to send a postcard to acknowledge the author for using his software thus the term “postcardware”.

Empathy | Michal Strehovský: home

Registration
    Empathy is postcardware. You can use it freely for an unlimited period, but if you want to use it with all functions, you have to register it by sending me a picture postcard (not an electronic/e-mail postcard – you can send something with a picture of your city on it, or anything you like). After receiving the postcard, I will send you an unlocking code by e-mail.

My postal address for the postcards is:

Michal Strehovsky,
    Pri Panorame 28,
    945 01 Komarno,
    Slovakia

Empathy is the one that you need if you would like to do this operation in snap.

Supported operating systems
    Protected files can be run under Windows NT 3.51, Windows NT 4, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows 95, Windows 98 and Windows Me.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ha14 View Post
    The only downside of Empathy is that it only allows you to key in a single character password. To get the full capability, you have to send a postcard to acknowledge the author for using his software thus the term “postcardware”.
    Wow ... postcardware, yes a nice new term. Must be a picture postcard collector. The app looks useful too !

Btw had just written a tut a few days back on How to password protect use of any application in Windows.

ha14 is offline Windows Enthusiast

Yap it looks a good little application. Have to add it on my collection. Thanks for the link. Yap we should send a postcard so that he manage the application on windows 7. He has also some other applications on his site but no more work on them and the source also is available if someone wants to continu on it.